Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anne21 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 06:48 PM
    quadratic function
    Three pieces of rod measure 20 cm, 41 cm and 44 cm. If the same amount is cut off each piece, the remaining lengths can be formed into a right triangle. What length is cut off?

anyone know this? Can anyone setup an equation for me? Tnx.:)
    terryg752 Posts: 197, Reputation: 4

Oct 23, 2007, 10:15 PM
    Let x be the length cut

Remaining 20 -x, 41 - x, 44 - x

This is a right angled triangle with hypotenuse = (44 - x)

Now you should be able to complete.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quadratic function-word problems [ 2 Answers ]

Dieter makes a journey of 430 km, traveling 160 km by bus and 270 km by car. If the car averages 10km/h faster than the bus and the whole journey takes 5h, what is the speed of the car? I don't get the question.. can anyone help me?? :)

Quadratic function [ 1 Answers ]

I have another question! I really am lost? I don't get those.. Chris cuts half a rectangular lawn, 40m by 30m by moving strips of equal width around perimeter. Jerri cuts the small rectangle left How wode a strip does Chris cut so that they share equally? Help!

Quadratic solving [ 6 Answers ]

The annual yield per lemon tree is fairly constant at 320 pounds when the number of trees per acre is 50 or fewer. For each additional tree over 50, the annual yield per tree for all trees on the acre decreases by 4 pounds due to overplanting. Find the number of trees that should be planted on an...

Quadratic equations [ 1 Answers ]

A rectangular animal pen with the area 1200m has one sidealong a barn. The other three sides are enclosed by a 100m fencing. Find the dimensions of the pen.

Quadratic Equation [ 1 Answers ]

Pick out the X and Y coordinates of the vertex from the equation y=x^2+12x-7 Thank you.

View more questions Search