Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JPP Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Un-used 3 inch waste pipe
    My house had an option of a second bathroom. The original owner did not go for this option & the plumber put cement in the hub of a 3 inch cast iron waste pipe. I want to now add the second bathroom and I need to use this pipe since it is in the right location. Running a new pipe is out of the question since I am on a concrete slab. There is a kitchen sink located three feet away from this pipe which makes me believe that this pipe is not totally dead. My questions are: Do you think the cement is just at the hub? Or further down the pipe? Is it possible to get this cement out & how? So that this pipe can be used...

Thanks,
    John
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 18, 2007, 09:20 AM
    It is likely the cement is just in the first few inches and I'd give a try at removing it. Get a hammer drill and a good masonary 1/2" bit. Drill 3-4, or more, holes in the cement near the edge. Do not chisel until you have broken loose the cement core. You need to fish out all of the cement chunks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2007, 11:47 AM
    Bal gave you very good advice. The cement is probably just a plug. You now have your main drain. Let m e give you the details of a typical bath installation. Most bathroom groups are roughed in like this.
    Toilet connects to sewer main or the stack vent. Lavatory connects to toilet drain and runs a vent off the top the stubout tee out the roof or revents back into a dry vent in the attic.. The toilet wet vents through the lavatory vent and the tub/shower connects to the lavatory drain and is wet vented by it. This is a normal rough in and is acceptable both by local and state codes and also The Standard Plumbing Code Book in 90 percent of the country. Check your local codes.to make sure you're not in the excluded 10 percent. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A new waste pipe - is this right? [ 3 Answers ]

I added the waste pipe located at the front of the attached picture 1... The vertical arm on the left of the main waste pipe was already plumbed for future connection as was the vertical pipe on the right coming down from the second floor (you can see it in picture2). Can anyone verify that this...

Replace Lead Pipe from Toilet to Hubless Waste Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

My house is a craftsman style house from 1912 in Oakland, California. I have a big hole in a 24" horizontal lead pipe that bends at 90 degrees and connects the only toilet in the house to the hubless waste pipe. How do I go about removing the lead pipe? (What tools do I need and what type of...

1 1/4 inch fittings won't fit 1 1/4 pipe [ 1 Answers ]

The pvc nipple on the intake of my shallow well pump was leaking. I cut the 1 1/4 inch pipe and was going to couple in a new nipple. The coupling would not fit the old pipe. It is white 1 1/4 " and so is my replacement pipe. I showed it to three different hardware stores and none of them could...

Waste pipe? Removal [ 2 Answers ]

Im not sure what I have here, but I am trying to cap it. Here's what the configuration is. My house was originally built in 1967. In my basement I have what appears to be a 2" dia. galvanized pipe protruding about 10" out of a 4-41/2" dia. iron pipe. There is a threaded coupler at the top of...

125mm waste pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone tell me if the drainage pipes from the kitchen sink are supposed to join directly onto the same 125mm waste pipe that the toilets are also connected to? Iam in the process of refurbishing my flat and have come across such a setup. Does anyone know if this is legal? Surely there must...

View more questions Search