Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michago Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Form 1116, foreign tax credit, prorate standard deduction?
    Hello,

I need to fill two Forms 1116 Foreign Tax Credit, one for passive and one for general category income. When I get to line 3a, since I don't itemize deductions I need to place my standard deduction, which is 10900 for married filing jointly.

My question is, do I need to prorate this amount between the two forms 1116, or do I place that amount in both?

Thanks very much for your help!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 25, 2009, 11:47 PM

Use a tax software.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

May 29, 2009, 02:18 PM

You place the amount in both
    Seckst119 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2011, 09:32 AM
    I have only passive foreign income of 4377. How much is the standard deduction?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2011, 03:20 AM

On form 1040, you standard deduction does not change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form 2555 & Form 1116 [ 2 Answers ]

Dear All - Can a taxpayer, who is a Lawful Permanent Resident of US, file Form 2555 - Foreign Income Exclusion for the income earned by him in another country (outside US) and claim Foreign Tax Credit for the same income? What are the reporting requirements to file Form 2555? Which one of...

Filling 1116 - foreign tax credit [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I am having trouble filling out form 1116. For Jan 07 through Dec 2007 I have US income. During the same year for Jan 2007 through March 2007 - I have paid taxes ($1634) in India on the income earned in the US for these 3 months (Gross Income $17495) . US taxes were also deducted atr...

Foreign Tax Credit Form 1116 [ 1 Answers ]

Over the past year I owned two Canadian oil royalty trusts which I sold in November. During that time I paid a total of $425 in taxes to Canada on the dividends. Anyone have an idea how to fill out form 1116? Looks very complicated. Or do you know of some source that has instructions for a...

Tax software for calculating foreign tax credits on Form 1116 [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there. I wonder if anyone can advise me which is the best software for filling out Form 1116? I am using Turbotax 'Home and Business' and the IRS instructions together to fill mine out, but the IRS instructions are SO complicated and the Turbotax software assumes that you know a lot about...

Form 1116, foreign tax credit: Tax paid vs tax accrued, exchange rates and dates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm applying for foreign tax credit on taxes I've paid / accrued on interest earned in savings accounts and certificate deposits in New Zealand. For cds, the bank statements don't give precise dates for when taxes were withheld. And so I have several questions relating to form 1116, Part II: ...

View more questions Search