Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandon101293 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2008, 04:23 AM
    math formula for Distance
    If a person can walk 3 miles in one hour, how far from school are they if it takes 20 minutes to walk to school. I have the answer by using common sense but I need to know the formula for calculating distance as it relates to this question. Further I do not know how to break down the info given by using a formula. If I say that D = V x t and then say D = 3 miles per hour x 20 minutes = 60 but I know the answer is one mile. What do I need to do in order to show my calculations correctly?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 12, 2008, 04:25 AM
    Distance = Speed x Time
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2008, 04:50 AM
    You need your units to be the same, if you're using miles per hour then you need to convert your time into hours. (or your speed into miles per minute)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 02:26 AM
    And the speed you mentioned above is 3 miles per hour. Using the equation of Curlyben, D is distance and not speed. If you had put it right above, then you'd have obtained the right answer.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 05:04 AM
    It's a in the units.

D=Speed x Time; If Speeds is in mph then time must be in hours.

D=S(mi/h) x h; the hours cancel and you end up with S miles

The number multiplication is part of it. You need to make sure the units are correct too.

Just like what is the answer in cuft for a plot that's 6'10" x 4'3" x 2" deep

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Math formula to work out yield [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, all help needed. I don't understand yield. Is there a mathematical formula to work out the yield of a product for example rooms in a hotel. I have 3 at £50.00, 3 at £75.00 and 3 at £100.00. Does yield tell me what I get a year, or can it be broken down by month? All answers greatly...

Math formula [ 1 Answers ]

What is the formula to find out speed in miles per hour if I have a distance in miles and a time in seconds

Math formula [ 2 Answers ]

I need to convert watts to candlepower. Any help in this formula will be a great help

Math 9 The Probability Formula [ 2 Answers ]

hi.. I neeed helpp. one ball is drawn from a bag containing 1 yellow, 2 oranges, 3 pink and 2 whitemarbles. State the probability of the folllowing colours. Write your answers in decimal form. Explain each step and how u did it please. Thanks a lot - ahmad. Desperate of help test is tomorrow I...

View more questions Search