Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZzXcaLiBuRzZ Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 02:18 AM
    Synaptic Transmission
    Hey guys, I need to clarify some doubts I have... Is the synaspe same as cleft? Both are known as the gap between the axon terminal and dendrites right?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 05:13 AM

"Between the pre- and postsynaptic cells is a gap about 20 nm wide called the synaptic cleft. The small volume of the cleft allows neurotransmitter concentration to be raised and lowered rapidly. The membranes of the two adjacent cells are held together by cell adhesion proteins."

This is quoted from Wikipedia. There is more there about the dendrites and axon terminal.

Chemical synapse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the synapse refers to the entire structure, while the cleft is only the gap.
    ZzXcaLiBuRzZ Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 05:23 AM

Oh.. Yeah. Because I did my research and there was this diagram showing that the synapse was from the axon terminal which is the tip of 1 neurone to the dendrite. Haha. Thanks a lot. I had clarify my doubt. Now I know what I should write for my essay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it my transmission? [ 2 Answers ]

I own a 92 jeep cheroke and I admit I don't take the best care of it. This is mostly due to financial problems. Lately I think my transmission has been slipping but want to be sure. What are some signs that your transmission may be slipping. My vehicle shakes/vibrates when in motion. It also...

DC Transmission [ 2 Answers ]

What % of electrical energy transmission in USA is DC

Transmission pan [ 3 Answers ]

I need to find prices on transmission pans I searched everywhere and I can find prices just not prices for a 1997 Ford Taurus but if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated or if you have any ideas how to fix a cracked transmission pan then that would also be helpful. Thank you for your...

Transmission ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have Murray riding mower (rear engine), everything works, but the mower will not go in gear, belt is intact. Any thoughts? Thanks

View more questions Search