Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tendergestures Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Confused about Marriage and Divorce
    I had a church wedding in California 13 years ago. Now I want a divorce. However, my husband informed me that we were never legally married because the marriage was never recorded with the county or state recorder's office.

I checked with the county recorder and there is not record of our marriage in California. We hired a PI who found nothing. We sought legal advice but got conflicting opinions on whether a divorce process is necessary.

Now I want to remarry, but I do not want any polygamy charges.

Is it necessary to get a divorce even though our marriage is not recognised in California?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 13, 2007, 12:03 PM
    I do not know how is in California but...
    To be valid, a marriage ceremony must be performed by any of the individuals specified in Section 11 of the New York State Domestic Relations Law. These include:

The mayor of a city or village;

The city clerk or one of the deputy clerks of a city of more than one million inhabitants;

A marriage officer appointed by the town or village board or the city common council;

A justice or judge of the following courts: the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, or Western Districts of New York, the NYS Court of Appeals, the Appellate Division of the NYS Supreme Court, the NYS Supreme Court, the Court of Claims, the Family Court, a Surrogates' Court, the Civil and Criminal Courts of New York City (including Housing Judges of the Civil Court) and other courts of record;

A village, town or county justice;

A member of the clergy or minister who has been officially ordained and granted authority to perform marriage ceremonies from a governing church body in accordance with the rules and regulations of the church body;

A member of the clergy or minister who is not authorized by a governing church body but who has been authorized by a spiritual group to preside over their spiritual affairs;

Other officiants as specified by Section 11 of the Domestic Relations Law.

It is for NY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Confused About My Marriage [ 3 Answers ]

I have now been married for 3 1/2 years. My wife and I argue, I know that every couple has its tiffs, but when we argue it is a fight and the question always comes up "maybe we should get a divorce". We have been trying to conceive for the past two years and with no luck. We are in our...

Filing for divorce in a different state from Marriage [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Rhode Island and have been separated (not legally)from my husband that lives in NYS for more than three years. We were married in NYS. I left NYS to take a job with both of us in agreement that he would join me. He has not made any attempt to do this and I feel that it is...

Divorce 2 years after marriage - French citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

My French husband and I (I am American) are considering getting a divorce. February 2006 will make 2 years since we got married, we have been living and working in Florida. I never applied for European working papers but am considering moving to Europe at this point. Does anyone know how long...

View more questions Search