Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dan_Patrick Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 01:01 AM
    False allegation of Domestic Violence
    I was recently charged with domestic violence. I think the whole thing is ridiculous as I got into an argument with my girlfriend that could have been avoided. The state is very strict with these laws. I think there were mistakes on both sides, but they chose to remove me from my apartment.

My girlfriend has sent me several messages stating she would like to get back together with me and is concerned about my well being. She admitted that there were mistakes on her part as well.

I spoke to an attorney and he asked me what I wanted. I told him I want the case to be dismissed, but I will defend myself if I have to.

What are some good pointers to get the judge on my good side and dismiss the case besides good old respect?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 26, 2007, 07:28 AM
    If your girlfriend refuses to press charges, that should dismiss it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Patrick
    to get the judge on my good side and dismiss the case besides good old respect?
    Hello Dan:

To what?? Get the judge on your side?? Dude! What have YOU been smoking? Judges don't pick sides, they follow the law. If you try to "get" him on your side by smarmy butt kissing, it's going to have to opposite effect.

The LAW is the key. Scott is right. If your girlfriend does not press charges, then there's no case.

Be clear about what that means in its entirety, too. Even though your girlfriend decides not to press charges, the prosecutor might decide to charge you IF he thinks he can WIN. I don't know what evidence he has in addition to your gf's testimony, but she must refuse to testify against you.

Then let's hope that there aren't pictures, or a medical report, or an angry parent (in-law). And, let's hope the prosecutor isn't running for governor.

excon
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Mar 23, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Well first of all, this is a good set up for more acusations which can include sexual asault.
    Second the court is not going to believe anything you say.
    Third you are violating thr order by comunicating with her (stop) probably the order only states that you not contact her, saying nothing about her contacting you.
    Fourth if she has done this to you she will do it again. Next time you may end up in jail.

Do not be alone with this person, unless you like jail.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Mar 23, 2007, 06:44 PM
    Ok let me tell you, once charges have been filed in domestic violence cases they can not be "dropped"
    The judges are overwelmingly biased against men, they will not believe anythig you say.
    Just make sure every thing you do is OK, with your lawyer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Ok, first only the DA can decide at this point to drop charges. As a police officer after we did a domestic violence arrest the victimm had no right to withdraw charges, ( this was changed because the poor girlfirend was given some flowers and always took the guy back, so the courts got tired of arresting, and dismissing, arresting and dismmissing, so most states have changed those laws now.

So it is possible that the DA will dismiss if your girlfriend asks them to, but most likely no they won't.

And getting the judge on your side ? Don't happen, they will merely want the facts of the case presented, and will rule if those break the law.

If you decide to defend yourself, take your overnight bag with you, since you will be gone for a while, domestic violence law is very speicifc and they have to make a certain case, with evidence, So your job will be to show the evidence is not there, or make motions to have evidnce thrown out.

Next of course, just a argument does not get one arrested on domestic violence, there has to be physcial contract or some damage to the apartment. And no this just does not have to happen, what should have happen is one party just walks away before ti goes to far.

But what you want more than anything is the domestic violence part to be done away with, since it can hurt your changes to some jobs in the future. Even if you plea it down to a simple assault or something but need to get rid of the domestic violence attachment
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2007, 07:28 PM
    If the person you are charged with hitting won't testify against you and there are no witnesses then they don't have anything, unless she was all bruised up when the cops arrived.

I think you'll be fine and it will get dismissed for lack of evidence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Domestic violence [ 12 Answers ]

My boyfriend was dealing with a lot of self issues, his self esteem was real low because he was having problems finding a job, he didn't like the fact that I was the bread winner, and he was falling deep in love with me and didn't know how to deal with it, so he went out and got high on crystal...

Domestic violence [ 2 Answers ]

By law, do I still have to testify against my boyfriend if we get married.

Domestic violence and brain pressure! [ 1 Answers ]

It's been nine years I have been putting up with the stress my family gives me. They have started ever since I was 11 years old and now I am twenty, it is now reached to the point where I am going crazy because of too much mind blowing pressure and letting tears roll on my cheecks every day. Just...

Reclaiming social acceptance after a felony domestic violence conviction [ 11 Answers ]

In 1998 I was convicted of "felony menacing with a deadly weapon" after losing my composure for a split second, during a very ugly separation in the state of Colorado. No one was injured, or touched in anyway during the commission of my crime. I served my time, completed counseling, psychotherapy,...

Domestic violence [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know why if you turn some one in why don't you do any thing. My daughter went with a man who we thought was very nice till my daughter started supporting black and burses. I turn him in to the Redford po;ice for beating the hell out of my daughter and they put him in jail for the...

View more questions Search