Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sadhubby Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2009, 03:45 PM
    After 21 years wife needs space
    Hi I am a 53 year old man married for 21 years with two sons 20 and 17,the 20 years old is in Iraq until sept. 09. Also my wife has had gastic bypass one year ago and loss over 100 pounds. Over the last few weeks she has ban me from the bedroom I am sleeping in the oldest sons room, she is never home anymore but to sleep says she needs time and space this is very hard for me I have tried everything at am at a dead end , we both agreed no divorce what can I do to win her back I am truly in love with her
    feelslikeimgone Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2009, 04:10 PM

Hey sadhubby,

I thought I would reply as my cousin is going through a similar thing. I am younger but not so young that I can't be of possible help.
    I think you should give your wife space, but don't allow her to call all of the shots. She may be looking for a bit of enthusiasm from you. So don't be pushed over, or at least try not to.
    There is always a way to meet new people, groups or classes. Maybe to give her space you could join up. It would show that your not afraid to try new things and give a bit of exploration back into your life as you.
    Help her to remember the past, have your wedding song on one day when she gets home. Surprise her. No matter how much a woman says she doesn't want to be surprised, she does inside. Spice up the romance if it has faded. Petals on the bed. Cook her favourite meal. Treat her to a massage and have one next to her.
    The biggest thing is to always always be honest with each other. Be open and talk talk talk. Even it will hurt you I would advise her to sit you down and tell you what's happened and where it's gone wrong.
    I'm sorry if I've said things that you have already tried.
    I really hope you aren't a sad hubby for too long and it gets resolved.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 05:46 PM

You can't make her love you again and if you try it could ultimately push her further away.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jun 7, 2009, 07:20 PM
    If the two of you can both agree to no divorce, then there is hope. Good for you for not giving up and throwing in the towel after 21 years.

Gastric bypass surgery is a very long, complicated event in someone's life. Everything about you changes, not just your weight. You think differently about yourself, and how others react to you being drastically changed. You are a different person all the way around.

A friend of mine after this surgery is 160 lbs lighter than she was two years ago, and within a few pounds of being at her ideal weight. She is a totally different person. But, before she actually went for surgery she said the most interesting thing to me, and that was, "I'm afraid to lose myself."

I'm wondering if part of what you are going through now has to do with this major change in her life. While you may not love her differently, or any less regardless of the surgery, she may be struggling with all the changes, and naturally that will include how you perceive her.

Is it possible for you two to go to counselling to figure out what's going on, and how to deal with it? Maybe she would feel comfortable starting that way, with an impartial third party, instead of directly with you. Just taking a stab at it here, but it may be helpful.

If she needs her space, let her have it, but on the other hand, you can't let yourself be left out in the lurch, worrying, and not knowing what she's up to. If she is not willing to go to counselling, go yourself. Not only will you show her that you are serious about your marriage, but you are willing to do anything to make things right.

If she remains unwilling to address issues, attend counselling, and generally communicate with you, then you may eventually be forced to make decisions you'd rather not. Saying you do not want a divorce doesn't mean it won't happen, nor does it mean that things will instantly be better without a lot of hard work by both of you.

Good luck sadhubby; hope to hear from you that things are turning around for the better.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jun 7, 2009, 07:37 PM

She agreed no divorce, so that means she's still willing to give it another shot. But she did ask for time and space. Respect her wishes, don't give her extra pressure.

Just be patient. Spend this time reflecting on how you treated her during the past 21 years. I'm sure your personality has something to do with it. Work on yourself while you're wait for her.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 09:06 PM
    If you still love her, then let her know that you do. You don't have to fawn over her (petals on the bed might be a bit much) but perhaps you can do some of the things that you used to enjoy together. Get out of the house, see a movie, plan a trip together.

She's made some changes to herself, why don't you make some changes as well? Give yourself a bit of a makeover - nice haircut, some new clothes, perhaps a new hobby or interest so that you have something different to talk about.

By all means give her space, but remember it's still a marriage and you need to spend some time together as well.

Jun 8, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Should I believe my wife?
    Threads merged

I ask yesterday about my wife needing time and space after 21 years of marriage and have gotten several replies thanks, but she will not go anywhere with me or even tell me were she is going , she swears she has not and is not going to break any of our wedding vows. Says she is spending time with girl friends and I have to give her this time. (should I) or is this a losing battle? She has suffered with lupus for the last 15 years and I have always stood by her. She was at one time taking 17 pills a day including a steroid that caused weight gain but I never complained then she had gastric by pass to lose this weight, and has made a complete turn around in her health issues losing over 100 pounds. I think but am not sure that see steroid taking the steroid she needs to on a daily bases could this somehow be part of the problem. She won't tell me. I have been going to a steroid but she refuses to says I am the one with the problem (not true I LOVE HER WITH ALL MY HEART) and I am not ready to give up. Seems like now she is feeling well and thin she don't need me anymore .
    PLEASE HELP
    susangpyp Posts: 258, Reputation: 73

Jun 8, 2009, 03:49 PM

If you stood by her when she was sick and overweight and now she's feeling fine and thin and the hell with you, have you told her how you feel?

You get what you put up with. Have you told her that her conduct is threatening your marriage? Spouses should know where the other is going. That's not too much to ask.

The question for you is how much you're willing to put up and how long.
    scott_1976 Posts: 96, Reputation: 19

Jun 8, 2009, 04:05 PM

If you have no clue what is going on than it sounds to me communication broke down long ago and you need to find a way to open the channel back up. Has she been unfaithful in the past?

Jun 8, 2009, 04:09 PM

Yes always

Jun 8, 2009, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sadhubby View Post
    yes always
    Yes she has cheated??

Jun 8, 2009, 08:06 PM

No

Jun 8, 2009, 08:11 PM
    no
    I would sit her down tell her your feelings and then give her the benefit of the doubt that she is not cheating. If things don't improve after expressing your feelings ask her if she will go to counseling with you. I hope you can work it out!:)
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 12:28 AM
    You need to talk. No way out of it. Take her out to dinner, tell her how you feel and ask her how she feels.

Also, as I said in the previous post - why don't you do something for yourself instead of stressing yourself silly? She's lost 100 lbs, why don't you make yourself look nice as well.

It may be that her change of weight has meant a change of heart, but you won't know until you talk to her.

Once you know, then you can decide what to do.

Jun 9, 2009, 05:03 AM

Relationships are not black and white she tended to live a single life prior to the weight loss and now you feel that she looks too good like 22 years ago and don't want people to look at her in a sexual way it makes you insecure. Communication existed to general things but you chose to exist as part of the furniture all these years, now you want to be part of her life and smother her and stop her from living a full life cause your not included. She is searching for happiness within her self. You should do the same thing.
    Holly23 Posts: 180, Reputation: 15

Jun 9, 2009, 05:10 AM

Maybe she just needs to feel attractive again.I don't think she's going to end the marriage.I personally think she just needs to get out and feel attractive...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 9, 2009, 05:27 AM
    Relationships are not black and white she tended to live a single life prior to the weight loss and now you feel that she looks too good like 22 years ago and dont want people to look at her in a sexual way it makes you insecure. Communication existed to general things but you chose to exist as part of the furniture all these years, now you want to be part of her life and smother her and stop her from living a full life cause your not included. She is searching for happiness within her self. You should do the same thing.
    I'm confused here. Did you just answer your own question?

Jun 9, 2009, 01:34 PM

That's not true we always did things together
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 04:51 PM
    thats not true we always did things together
    Er, what? I'm confused - who exactly is sadhubby?

Jun 9, 2009, 04:54 PM

What the?? This is getting strange??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dated 4.5 years, now she wants space and time [ 84 Answers ]

So the reasons she gave me for breaking up were Im not social enough and hang out with her friends and family enough. She also said she feels like she has just been in a relationship for so long that she needs time to be herself and be independent again. Also she wants to not always have to...

8 years and now she wants space [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was with my girlfriend for 8 years and lived together for 6 years and own a house together, 5 weeks ago now she left me I didn't really see it coming, though for the 4 weeks prior I did notice she was distant. She has moved out and is living with her friend she insists no one else is...

Girlfriend of two years and space [ 5 Answers ]

I need some help. My girlfriend and I have been together for over two years. I am 21 and she is 22. We broke up about 10 months ago and were apart for two months. But, this is not the problem. Instead she told me tonight that I do not give her enough "Space". This was very upsetting to me because I...

Girlfriend needs space after 5 years [ 22 Answers ]

I have been with my girlfriend for almost 5 years now and she is asking for space. We have had our ups and downs but have always promised each other that we'd never leave each other. We were deeply in love and besides work/school have spent the last 5 years together all the time. I have lived...

My girl of 3 years has asked for space [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, mygirlfriend of 3 years has said she is not hapy and needs to go to her mums to sort her head out. We have lived together for 2 years and she has gone to her mums before about a year ago, but she came back. We don't really argue but we do bicker a lot about nothing and when she drinks at...

View more questions Search