Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tamieko2 Posts: 62, Reputation: 0

Jul 11, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Abusive husband won't leave
    My sister is developed mentally delayed, with a normal iq and intelligence, her husband is mild mentally retarded with a way below average iq. They have been married for 8 1/2 yrs. With 3 kids, one died due to sids. Her husband is hooked on crack and contracted genital herpes from a prostitute. He is very abusive, mentally and physically. They have split up too many times too count only for him to force his way back in the home to torture her more. The first child is being raised by my parents due to child services taking her away because of his violence and drugs and alcohol abuse. They are adopting her soon. This last child is 7 months old and very well ajusted and all in all perfect. The first has some health issues.
    My point is this, my sister is the only one on the lease of her apt. the landlord does not want him there and told him to leave he won't go. The cops have been called so much they won't help her anymore to get him out. Child services got a call from my stupid step father who is nosey to no end, telling them they should go check on the child due to the fact the husband was in a fight and hospitalized by a neighbor (her husband attacked him for walking her home) , well csb showed up today and said if he isn't gone by tomorrow she is losing this child too!! Me and my mom were working on a house for her so she could leave because he refuses, he is still refusing even though he knows the baby will be taken. She has filed numerouse restraining orders but he violates every one, but the cops will not arrest him because he is retarded and cries too much in jail (like a dog). She has lost her friends over this and my mom and step dad are basically like "oh well" I was working on getting her out but I don't know if I can now? I am 600 miles away from her or I'd get her out myself. My parents won't let her stay with them and my other siblings have washed their hands of her. I can't let that baby get taken, the last one was in 2 foster homes before my parents hired a lawyer to get her out. They won't help this one and this time my step dad caused it!! Is there a way she can get him out since his name is not on the lease and she is filing for divorce? This is urgent, they Are coming tomorrow 7/12/07
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Let them come. This may sound harsh but right now, that child is more important than your brother in law or your sister. That child deserves to be in a safe home. Dio not blame your step-father. The blame is on your sister and her husband for creating and maintaining that hellish environment.

Why can't your sister leave this man? Why is she waiting for him to leave? He is NEVER going to leave unless physically carried out of that house. This is sad, very sad, but right now your sister does not deserve to have the child in her care. Perhaps in time, with counseling and therapy, she can. Maybe this will be her wake up call.

Jul 11, 2007, 01:51 PM
    If she were normal I would say you are right, but she is'nt she is slow and my mother is in control of her money and her bills so as far as leaving on her own , she would if she had a place to go, which is what I was trying to do before this happened. She has exhausted every option but no one will help her only me? No one will force him, he has broken down the door, she has stayed with friends till he left but none of that is an option now. He has never hurt the child phyically. The cops refuse to do there job and everyone is content to sit back and let the child get taken, she is not a bad mother, she is just someone who chose the wrong partner. Why should she have to lose this child to learn a lesson when she already lost one for the same thing, her lesson has been learned, she has to sign the first child away because of him. This just is'nt fair. She cannot very well sleep on the street to get away.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 02:11 PM
    She can take the baby and go to a women's shelter ASAP they will send a cab to get her if she really wants help.1-800-799-7233 all 50 states.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Then how can she have the normal IQ and intelligence that you first posted? I don ot want to seem harsh but I have worked with developmentally delayed adults for many years - some had children who were taken away for the child's own welfare. The parent was not capable of being a parent. The child is in a dangerous situation, even though you say that the father has not hurt the child yet. The possibility is very strong here. The damage does not have to be physical to warrant a child being taken out of the home.

It sounds as if your Mother is your sister's representative payee since she manages the money and pays the bills. Maybe it is time for someone to become your sister's guardian. There is counseling out there for adults with developmental disabilities, there are services for them, advocacy groups, etc. You say she has already learned her lesson from the first time. That tells me she is not capable of making a good judgement for her other child or herself, since nothing has basically changed in her life.

I hope she does call the hotline number that bushg listed for you. It would be a step in the right direction.

Jul 11, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Her iQ is low normal and her intelligence is normal of a 16 yr. old. She is 28. So she basically has the mentallity of a teenager and we all know how they think? Your right she does have bad judgement, I won't dispute that, but right now she is trying to turn that around. Maybe I am sticking up for her too much, lord knows I have had my fill of the whole situation, but I can't help it she is my sister, I have been the only one protecting her her whole life. My mom is her payee. She applied to get a guardian appointed but the judge ruled her to be mentally competent to handle her own affairs? I am giving her the hotline number thanks, that is exactly what she needs.
    alicia9938 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2012, 07:35 PM
    How dare people blame the victim. Sometimes, you are just so stunned that something like this could happen to you, there is no "logical" way for you to react. I have my degree in a field I love, but I would not say that I'm immune to abuse just because I'm "smart."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my husband abusive? [ 13 Answers ]

My husband constantly puts me down. Not just name calling (example: hoe, *****) but also personal insults like stupid, lazy, fat, and makes me feel bad for not working. I only have a high school diploma and can't afford child-care. We have three kids, and I am pregnant again. I got pregnant on the...

Should I leave my husband [ 31 Answers ]

I don't know what to do. My husband and I have been married for ten years. It has been rocky from the very beginning. In the past, whenever we would get into an argument, he would become physically violent. A couple of years ago, he bit a plug out of my hand, and it required medical treatment. I...

I need to leave my husband, but I have no help [ 19 Answers ]

I have been married for 12 years and with my husband for 15. We have 3 fantastic kids ages 6, 7 & 10. They are happy go lucky kids very involved with schools and friends. My husband and I are done. Every day I pray to God to help me leave him, without disturbing the lives of my kids. My kids...

10 year old son doesn't want me to leave his abusive father [ 6 Answers ]

I have been in an abusive marriage for ten years. . I have made the decision to leave my husband. I have three wonderful children, whom I have talked to about the upcoming separation. My two young girls seemed to handle it well. My 10 year old son , however, is having a difficult time with this. He...

Girlfriend and her abusive husband [ 11 Answers ]

Hello... I am not sure what to do here but was hoping I could get some sort of advise, guidance, or help for my girlfriend and myself. My girlfriend is once again staying with me after leaving her abusive husband for the 4th time now.. she had lived with me before but after talking with her husband...

View more questions Search