Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dulzurasown Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2006, 01:04 PM
    Help with Agave transplant
    I'm a new member and this is my first posting. Ineed to relocate an Agave and do not have option to dig it up. Any help out there for me?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 20, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Welcome, Dulzurasown!

I may be missing something... but "relocating" involves digging it up, period.

Why do you say digging it up not an option?

May 22, 2006, 08:41 AM
    Rickj-thank you for responding. Let me start again. There is a large Agave plant at work and what I want to know is if I cut off the biggest one to transplant at home, what is the best way to go about do that? Just saw it off and stick it in the dirt? I don't want it to die on me.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 22, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Generally, to take a portion of a plant, you just drive a spade straight down into it and get as much of the rootball as you can with the part you're taking away.

I'm no expert on the agave particularly, but from the looks of how it "funnels down" to the rootball, I fear that that you'd kill the plant by trying to break it up.

I hope someone in the know about agave will pipe in.

May 22, 2006, 09:37 AM
    Thank you. I appreciate the input!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 22, 2006, 03:53 PM
    I have them all over the place but they multiply on their own just fine so I have never messed with them.

If they are anything like a cactus, it couldn't hurt to break a small piece off, stick it in the ground and see if it takes.

Just be very very mindful the juice from some of these plants can be the opposite of an aloe plant and not safe to get on your skin.
    woodjameswood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2012, 01:53 AM
    I work with tree's, we occasionally come across succulents in our back yard blitz work.

We removed 3 agave attenuata about a month ago,(the softer ones without spikes on leaves) we cut them at the base with a chainsaw. After this my boss mentioned they are worth about $200 at the size these were. I went back today to finish the clean up, the agaves were still there looking as healthy as if we had just cut them, the cut at the base had healed on all 3 and all 3 are now shooting new roots from the outside of the cut.

While cutting the agaves we also removed another type of agave (Agave americana) which left us with intense burning skin and blisters. I believe all agaves can cause degree's of skin irritation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transplant [ 5 Answers ]

Three days ago. I had to move a Bloodgood Maple from the front of the house to get it out of the sun. That was not a problem because it was fairly new and still retained the shape from the original container. The Problem is that I had to moved it into a shady spot which had a six foot...

View more questions Search