Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    violentfeminine's Avatar
    violentfeminine Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 26, 2009, 07:22 PM
    Marrying an Illegal Immigrant
    I was with a guy for almost 6 years. We were deeply in love and everything was well. I came to the US when I was 2, I am now 22 and am still waiting for my papers to become a US citizen when we got a call stating that I am now over 21 and I would have to get my papers on my own which leaves me with the only option, marriage. My brother and his girlfriend of 2 years got married and had a baby and when I asked my boyfriend that I've known for longer than we've dated, he said no he would not marry me because when he gets married he wants to do it right, not just so I can get my papers. He thinks they're not very important and that I don't need them just yet. I thought that was ridiculous. I need it for so many reason and he would be the perfect person to do it with. We loved each other very much and always talked about marriage and kids. We are now broken up because I think if he truly loved me then he would have married me. He would be helping me out. I would definitely do it for him. Did I do the right thing in braking up with him or should I have stayed with him and respected his decision? I think it's totally unfair.
    mouse-girl's Avatar
    mouse-girl Posts: 15, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 26, 2009, 08:28 PM

    Can you clarify exactly what rights you would have as a legal citizen that you don't have just now?
    justcurious55's Avatar
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

    Jun 26, 2009, 08:47 PM

    Marrying a legal citizen does not automatically make you a legal citizen. My cousin married an illegal immigrant about 3 years ago. She's pregnant with their second child and just finally was able to get her citizenship. Are you sure that that's really your only way? Because I also have a co-worker who is not married. She's from peru. And just a few weeks ago she was studying to take a test for her citizenship, not planning a wedding. And do you really love him if you can't respect his views on marriage? I understand this is important to you, but from where I'm sitting, it looks like you need to understand the impact it would have on his life too because you're looking rather selfish.
    violentfeminine's Avatar
    violentfeminine Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 26, 2009, 11:30 PM

    Let's see, a drivers license, a valid social security number so I can work, an ID. I need to use a passport to get into clubs, bars, to buy alcohol and cigarettes and sometimes a lot of places don't accept passports. I don't have credit and I can't fly anywhere. Need I say more? These things are important to me. They weren't a few years ago but I'm getting older and really need them.
    justcurious55's Avatar
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

    Jun 27, 2009, 09:41 AM

    Us Citizenship, Dual Citizenship, Citizenship Test, American Citizenship, US Citizenship
    Here's something you might be interested in looking into. This page answers some FAQ's about becoming a citizen through naturalization. You said you've been in the U.S. since you were 2, and are now 22, that's 20 years. So according to that, you don't have to be married. I can see that you can read and write English. I'm assuming you learned to do so in our American schools where they teach American history. I can only go off what info I've found, but that meets most of the eligibility requirements right there. If you need more help, you can try posting on our immigration thread. Our immigration experts might be of more service to you.
    mouse-girl's Avatar
    mouse-girl Posts: 15, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 28, 2009, 12:44 AM

    In answer to your main question, I really think it was too much to ask of your boyfriend. No-one should pressure marriage for those reasons. It sounds like he values marriage at a very different level to you. I have to be honest, I do think you were selfish.

    Good luck with becoming a legal citizen without resorting to marriage.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Jun 28, 2009, 05:16 AM

    If you have dated someone for a somewhat long time ( it appears) and narriage is not even in the question, I never heard the words "LOVE"
    Do you already live together, is so, make him sleep on the couch for a while and I bet marriage my come up.

    While I beleie marriage for love is best, people around the world marry for all sorts of reasons, arranged marriage by parents, for social positions, for political reasons and for citizenship.

    Sounds like the boyfriend is not committed at this point
    N0help4u's Avatar
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

    Jun 28, 2009, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by violentfeminine View Post
    I would have to get my papers on my own which leaves me with the only option, marriage.
    I thought you could go to immigration and take some sort of test ** or something to get citizenship and marriage was the 'easy way out' to avoid the proper way?
    Therefore the boyfriend and love would not be the issue.

    Here is the way I heard it is done that does not involve marriage
    Ixquick Highlighted Result Page

    **Residence and Physical Presence

    An applicant is eligible to file if, immediately preceding the filing of the application, he or she:

    Has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence;

    Has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with absences from the United States totaling no more than one year;

    Has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year break the continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period);

    Has resided within a state or district for at least three months.

    Good Moral Character

    Generally, an applicant must show that he or she has been a person of good moral character for the statutory period (typically five years or three years if married to a U.S. citizen or one year for Armed Forces expedite) prior to filing for naturalization. The Service is not limited to the statutory period in determining whether an applicant has established good moral character. An applicant is permanently barred from naturalization if he or she has ever been convicted of murder. An applicant is also permanently barred from naturalization if he or she has been convicted of an aggravated felony as defined in section 101(a)(43) of the Act on or after November 29, 1990. A person also cannot be found to be a person of good moral character if during the last five years he or she:

    Has committed and been convicted of one or more crimes involving moral turpitude

    Has committed and been convicted of 2 or more offenses for which the total sentence imposed was 5 years or more

    Has committed and been convicted of any controlled substance law, except for a single offense of simple possession of 30 grams or less of marijuana

    Has been confined to a penal institution during the statutory period, as a result of a conviction, for an aggregate period of 180 days or more

    Has committed and been convicted of two or more gambling offenses

    Is or has earned his or her principle income from illegal gambling

    Is or has been involved in prostitution or commercialized vice

    Is or has been involved in smuggling illegal aliens into the United States

    Is or has been a habitual drunkard

    Is practicing or has practiced polygamy

    Has willfully failed or refused to support dependents

    Has given false testimony, under oath, in order to receive a benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act.

    An applicant must disclose all relevant facts to the Service, including his or her entire criminal history, regardless of whether the criminal history disqualifies the applicant under the enumerated provisions.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,328, Reputation: 10855

    Jun 28, 2009, 03:22 PM

    Your looking for the easy way out, and there are other options, as others have pointed out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an illegal immigrant get married for papers? [ 3 Answers ]

I am engaged to be married, my fiancÚ is an illegal immigrant from Mexico, we have been together for over 2 years and have a 10 month old daughter together. He is a provider for the family and is a good father. I want to help him become legal in the US . That is the reason we are not married yet,...

Illegal Immigrant in Italy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, Is there anyone out their that can help me? I am 58 years old and my boyfriend is some 22 years old - please do not all go errrr! It does happen. We have been together for 3 years in August, he loves me and I love him very much. We have been living in Italy, him illegally...

Marrying an Immigrant in California and Divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I am on the verge of marrying a girl from Thailand and she has no money, and I have over a 100k in assets. If I marry her and do not have her sign a prenup then is she legally entitled to half my assets if we get divorced? I live in California and want to know what the rights our of the immigrant...

View more questions Search