Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    wifewithquestio's Avatar
    wifewithquestio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 28, 2017, 07:52 PM
    Divorce Real Estate Question
    I was deceived concerning a real estate transaction with my husband. We are divorcing and I want to know what my rights and remedies are.

    When I married my husband, he told me he had a home that he had been renting out. The tenants did not pay for 3 months, and so my husband asked me to join my life with him, get married and move in. I contributed nearly $ 4k to save the home for foreclosure. I also signed a lease to protect my interests, giving me credit and repayment of my commitment. My husband informed me after receiving the money that he and his exwife own the house. Following the marriage, he abandoned me for months at a time and left me to shoulder everything. Now he says that the house is really his ex-wife's and now that our relationship has deteriorated, he said I had to move immediately. What are my remedies?
    hkstroud's Avatar
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

    Jun 28, 2017, 09:28 PM
    What are my remedies?
    A lawyer.
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

    Jun 29, 2017, 12:31 PM
    I agree.. you need a lawyer.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,328, Reputation: 10855

    Jun 29, 2017, 04:55 PM
    A darn good divorce lawyer. I would also call the district attorney on this lying swindler. A darn good lawyer can help with that too.
    dontknownuthin's Avatar
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

    Jun 30, 2017, 12:44 PM
    You need an attorney. And you would need to be formally evicted in most instances. It appears that this was a premarital asset of your husbands, whether he owned it outright or with his wife. I'm not clear on your meaning with the explanation of what you've paid but if you paid rent and lived there, that's fair enough I would think. If you contributed to mortgage payments, that should be considered in calculating your settlement, I would think. Every jurisdiction has their own laws and rules, and this is enough of a complexity that you are going to need a good attorney to unravel things and get you a fair resolution.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Jul 1, 2017, 03:48 AM
    Put the divorce on pause and refuse to sign anything or do anything. Do not budge from the home. A spouse has a lot more rights than a divorcee.
    Trot down to city hall deed office and look up the actual owner of the house. Why do you continue to believe whatever this guy says?
    Besides, the more work you do, the less you have to pay a lawyer.
    You have been extremely naive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real Estate Question [ 7 Answers ]

Had a contract to sell home in SC the buyer has apparently walked away from the settlement on this coming Monday. Do they lose their earnest money? Does this come to me automatically or do I have to get a lawyer and sue for same?

Real estate law question [ 1 Answers ]

If neighbor placed a chain link fence on property and post are on property line but the link fence is on my property does she have the right to spray weed killer through and kill my grass and dog? In Virginia in country sub-division

Real estate question [ 9 Answers ]

Hi. In 2006, happily married, my husband and I purchased a home in Hawaii. 2008, we stopped making payments and the home went into the foreclosure process in April 2011. Sept 2011, my happy marriage came to an end and we got our divorce. Oct 27, 2011 my ex husband gave me a 45 days to vacate letter...

Real estate in a divorce [ 2 Answers ]

inmy divorce my x was awarded sole custody of our joint propery... it also states that he must refinance in 90 days or place the property up for sale which he has not done either... he said he is going to let the property foreclose... he has not removed my name off the taxes or insurance which in...

Divorce Division of Real Estate [ 2 Answers ]

My separated wife and I own a home in Virginia. She moved out of the house in June of 2000. I have made all of the mortgage payments which include taxes, insurance, etc.. As well as upkeep and improvements since that date. When we get an official divorce in Virginia, is there some level of credit...

View more questions Search