Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adkperson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Defamation when letter is sent to employer saying I am incompetent
    A parent sent a letter to my employer at school demanding I was incompetent and be fired after taking her 17 year old son to the school doctor w/o her permission after he requested he be checked for broken ribs after a fall at home. I was not found in error for following potential abuse protocol. I live in a small community and she has also said unture statements in the community. I no longer feel I want to handle the health duties at school for fear of a parent trying to sue and am not going to do this next school year so I am losing this small but important income after 15 years of flawless service. Isn't this defamation of character?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Parents complain, parents sue, if you are in fear of being sued you can find almost no job today anywhere.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adkperson
    A parent sent a letter to my employer at school demanding I was incompetent and be fired after taking her 17 year old son to the school doctor w/o her permission after he requested he be checked for broken ribs after a fall at home. I was not found in error for following potential abuse protocol. I live in a small community and she has also said unture statements in the community. I no longer feel I want to handle the health duties at school for fear of a parent trying to sue and am not going to do this next school year so I am losing this small but important income after 15 years of flawless service. Isn't this defamation of character?

For the future, do you carry insurance? People sue other people all the time and are a lot less enthusiastic when "you" are represented by an insurance company.

Just on a personal note and I know it's not about winning and losing but if the parent drives you out after you have been found not in error don't her complaints sound legitimate to the community? I always figure the people who hear these rumors and complaints look at all sides and make their own decisions and what is very important to you probably is meaningless to other people, simply droning in their ears.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adkperson

I fired that off before I was finished!

No, it's not defamation of character unless first she alleges something untrue - she is entitled to question your actions and, second, it appears you are leaving your employment for fear of being sued by another parent, not out of anything she said, causing your own monetary loss. I don't see that you've been financially harmed by "her."
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 6, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Well there are some issues here. First the letter does not constitute defamation. You did take the son for treatment and she is entitled to her opionion about your competence. Since you were exonerated by your employer, then her letter bears no weight.

However, if she is continuing to slander you by telling people untrue things about you, then you MIGHT have a cause of action. If her actions are affecting your ability to do the part of your job involving health duties, that can be cited as damages. I would see if you can find an attorney to give you a free consult as to whether they would take the case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contesting a change in the will without notification and mother incompetent [ 4 Answers ]

My mom has a will written in 1987. It splits all of her assets between my sister and I. She has been bilked for 200,000 by two con people and now my sister says that our mom is going to sell her the house (major asset) for 200,000 (it is worth over 700,000) and they told me that they are so sorry...

Debt Validation Sworn Denial Letter Valid 30 Days After Demand Letter Michigan [ 9 Answers ]

Zwicker has sued me for alleged debt and I am representing myself in Michigan in court. The details are as follows. I have only received one demand letter from them dated December 26, 2006. The letter did not provide any information that is required by the Fair Debt Collections Act to dispute...

Commitment letter given & contract of buy is signed, can denial letter make/break? [ 4 Answers ]

My parents "were" in the process of selling their home. The buyers had gotten approved for the loan and signed the contract to close on the house. They put down 1/2 of their down payment as one of two. The second payment would be transferred at closing. The shady buyers decided they...

Deeming a parent incompetent [ 5 Answers ]

My mother-in-law has been somewhat incoherent for some time now. She is good at fooling a lot of people but since we left she has had more and more family realizing we weren't just out to get her. She is going to fight us but this needs to be done as she has already ended up in the hospital three...

View more questions Search