Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bella99 Posts: 150, Reputation: 37

Oct 19, 2009, 06:47 PM
    New guy acting strange
    So I met this guy through a mutual friend about a month ago. We hit it off well, and he was calling and texting me quite often - I was surprised actually by how frequently. He just went through a divorce, and has a 1.5 year old son - he's 2 years older than me. Loves to work on his house. We've hung out about 5 times - unfortunately he lives almost an hour away from me. He also has 50% custody of his son, so he has limited free time.

The past week he has been a little more distant - not texting me frequently - I seem to be starting the conversations. It's concerning me. This past weekend he didn't have his son, but he did have some plans. I told him to call me if he had free time so we could hang out. We almost hung out Friday, but he had a bunch of errands and it was late by the time he was done and he was tired. Sunday he made plans t hang out with some of his good friends. So I didn't see him at all. This concerned me as well because when I like someone I make time for them, and I'm not sure if he is doing this on purpose or by accident. I talked to him a little today just tried to call but no answer - so I guess I'm stuck waiting to see if he will call back.

Oh and before, his texts were always sweet like xoxox or you make me smile, etc, and he would call at ntie and we would talk on the phone for about a half hour to an hour.

I've only known him for a month, so I'm not trying to jump into anything - and I'm not trying to scare him away by having a talk with him about it, but its starting to hurt m feelings a little.

Am I being paranoid because I went through a break up 6 months ago and just don't want to get hurt? Do you think maybe he is just pulling back a little to slow it down (he is the one who sped it up to begin with)? Maybe he isn't interested anymore and just doesn't want to tell me? Should I just give it time to see if maybe this is just some phase? I think its too early for the "what are we" conversation.

I'm going to try really hard to be patient and maybe pull back a little - let him contact me - but I'm so terrible at being patient, and I'd rather just flat out ask him what's going on - if something is wrong.
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 09:40 AM

You're paranoid. Don't get into a relationship until you're healed from the last one, and you're ready to get serious. This guy probably isn't pushing it because he's changed his mind (at the beginning he seemed into it and now he's distant). He has a son and is probably ready to settle down and get married- it seems like you aren't, considering your freaking out about him not calling you back. It's something that bothers me about people these days- if someone doesn't return a call or a text, the world is automatically coming to an end- not to mention the relationship. (he's too busy with errands and such to answer your phone calls and talk all night long- he's unbelievable!! ) WRONG. He's been through a divorce and has other responsibilities, you've been through at least one break up and you're being very immature about the relationship. I sense that this is not going to work out between you two, so I wouldn't push it.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 09:48 AM
    It's only been 1 month that you've known him. Secondly, you are still recovering from your break up. Thirdly, he has a son to worry about, so he's got some baggage as well. Are you sure you want to get involved with so much baggage?

Someone has to get the ball rolling.

If you're interested, then you can suggest some plans. But if gives you excuses for not being about to see you without rescheduling, then chances are his interest level isn't that high.

If he was interested, he will make the effort to contact you and reschedule when he can't make it.
    Starry nights Posts: 213, Reputation: 104

Oct 20, 2009, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by I wish View Post
    It's only been 1 month that you've known him. Secondly, you are still recovering from your break up. Thirdly, he has a son to worry about, so he's got some baggage as well. Are you sure you want to get involved with so much baggage?

Someone has to get the ball rolling.

If you're interested, then you can suggest some plans. But if gives you excuses for not being about to see you without rescheduling, then chances are his interest level isn't that high.

If he was interested, he will make the effort to contact you and reschedule when he can't make it.
    Sometimes people behave the way they know how to,actually.It could actually be because he's getting too attracted too fast,so he wants some space,anything.

The idea is for you to understand that you can't figure out what's going on in his mind till you ask him directly or just wait for him to explain.One thing is for sure,if you feel there's a difference in his behaviour,then there surely is.

What you plan to do about that is your choice.Sometimes a direct yet casual and polite conversation helps,if you can pull it off calmly and without getting hyper or dramatic.Sometimes backing off and being busy with your own life a bit.Do what suits you best to help you get an answer.
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2009, 12:03 PM

Maybe he is backing down because he thought he was smothering you and mabye he realized he is going to strong and doesn't need something so soon after a marriage. Don't freak out over the simple things.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 20, 2009, 12:36 PM

You expect a bit too much from this stranger, and yourself.

I see no point in going on, and on, because he is otherwise doing something else.

Let it go, and keep on truckin'. Not even worth dwelling on it, since I suspect you have made more of this than its worth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat is acting strange... [ 5 Answers ]

In the past month my 8 year old cat, liddy has been acting very odd. Specifically within the past week she has been very seclusive. She rarely comes when we call her.. and she almost seems to ignore us! My first though was to take her to the vet.. I thought she might be losing some of her hearing.....

My cat is acting strange [ 3 Answers ]

I heard my outdoor cat meowing outside... I opened the door... I was thinking she may be hungry so I was getting ready to feed her... once I opened the door she dashed inside... now she is laying on the bed... she is usually not a very loveable cat and now she is letting us pet her and play with...

Ex acting strange? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why but ever since we broke up (2 months ago) she has been acting like a skank... I been looking on her myspace and she has been putting stuff like... I need too get laid soooo badly... I'm another notch on a bedpost but w/e... stuff like that... I think she knows I keep looking at her...

Cat is acting strange [ 2 Answers ]

Our Persian cat has been yowling night and day for two days. She is eating, etc. but seems not to be resting or sleeping. We have looked her over good, but can not see anything wrong with her. Any answers?

My cat is acting strange [ 12 Answers ]

My cat has recently lost about 4 pounds in a month. She used to be quite large (15 pounds) and very vocal and fun loving. Recently she has been secluding herself and living under my bed not coming out for anything. If you try to stroke her she kind of growls but sounds like she has no energy (she...

View more questions Search