Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tadita83 Posts: 130, Reputation: 16

Feb 12, 2009, 02:59 PM
    What do you think about American Idol?
    Ok, I really like American Idol. I have always really gotten into the show. When people try to say its rigged I usually blow it off as nonsense. I still don't think it is "rigged," but has anyone else noticed from this season that they have kept some people that shouldn't be kept seemingly because they are the source of "drama and entertainment" with their behavior not their singing. Then there are others that I felt did a much better job and had better voices, yet they were let go seemingly because either they didn't cause enough "drama" or it would be more dramatic to let them go.

Example:
    One guy sent home was best friends with this other guy. He was a good singer, yet they let him go. I feel it was because it caused more "dramatic entertainment" to get rid of him rather than keep him

While another guy who had forgotten his words and walked off stage was kept on the show.

Its just not making much sense.

So I was hoping for a friendly discussion:
    What's your opininion?
    American Idol: Reality or Rigged??
    melou Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 05:49 PM

Yes I have to agree they should not have let that guy go. We watched it last night not understanding what they have done. Maybe it is to early to tell anything. We will see
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2009, 05:52 PM

I think its contrived nonsense. I think that they torture and ridicule in the name of the almighty advertising dollar.

Feb 12, 2009, 07:20 PM

I think they overdo it with the ridicule at times, but anyone who goes on the show knows what they are in for when they do it. So there are very few I have sympathy for when it comes to that.

I do hope it gets better. I'm kind of torn. I like the show and want to see what happens next, but I don't want to watch it if they are going to be all about the drama and not about the music.
    Jentau Posts: 57, Reputation: 8

Feb 13, 2009, 09:04 AM

They should have kept that guy and cut that annoying crazy laugher chick...

I don't think it's "rigged" but I think they play up things for that dramatic effect. Once the people get to vote then it gets better, remember that Sangiah guy? That kid couldn't sing but made it pretty far because people didn't like the show and wanted everyone to vote for the worst person, or so I've heard

Feb 13, 2009, 09:27 AM

Sanjaya wasn't that bad a performer, but he was a fan favorite which is why he lasted so long. Same thing with that Norman character this year.

Did you hear one of the 36 was dumped and replaced.

Feb 13, 2009, 03:55 PM

No I didn't hear that. Did they say which one?

Feb 13, 2009, 08:19 PM

I was told today that they cut the chick that already had been singing with a record company before. I think her name was joanna or something. Started with a j. and they replaced her with another chick from virginia beach.

As much as the laughing chick annoys me, she can sing (unfortunately) because that means we're going to have to put up with her a while longer.

I was THRILLED however when bikini girl left. It just made my blood boil to watch her. Of course I'm sure the guys enjoyed watching her. I however despised the way she flaunted her body to get what she wanted. Granted she could sing, but not as well as some of the others that went long before her. Case in point, holding on to her for dramatic effect and entertainment.

Feb 18, 2009, 09:24 AM

Yeah bikini girl was real snotty and thought her poop didn't stink

I have to say I was amazed at that tatiana chick last night, she was normal. I bet she saw how crazy she looked on TV and now she's trying to not be weird.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2009, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Sanjaya wasn't that bad a performer, but he was a fan favorite which is why he lasted so long..
    Actually I believed Sanjay lasted because of the internet people having fun with the show's call-in voting format: Vote for the Worst

Feb 20, 2009, 06:35 PM

Michael Sarver?? Seriously?? I think the guy is a nice guy and he's doing it for has family GREAT, BUT it's a singing competition. And his song was aweful. I think the guy can sing, but he is not as good as MANY of the others that were turned down.

I was so disappointed Anoop didn't get in. I love him!

Feb 20, 2009, 06:37 PM
    Oh, and tatiana. I think I was more disturbed by her being normal than her goofiness. She had that serial killer look. It was creepy
    Hardy23 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 05:28 AM
    American Idol is fantastic show. This show has a huge fan following. I am a big fan of this show. I think it was a great idea discovered by its creator. This show brings the hidden talent of America in front of us. So many singers have start their carrier through American idol. This is a huge show. I love to watch American idol very much. Thanks to the creator of this show to start such a fabulous show.

Aug 20, 2009, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy23 View Post
    American Idol is fantastic show. This show has a huge fan following. I am a big fan of this show. I think it was a great idea discovered by its creator. This show brings the hidden talent of America in front of us. So many singers have start their carrier through American idol. This is a huge show. I love to watch American idol very much. Thanks to the creator of this show to start such a fabulous show.
    "discovered by its creator"?? Talent shows like this have been going for a long, long time! Did you ever see the movie Gypsy? Vaudeville houses would have them all the time. The only thing the creator of American Idol did was update it for the electronic age with national phone in voting.

But in doing so he created a contrived, superficial piece of entertainment. The shows showing the audition process are as much about making people with little or no talent look foolish as it is about showcasing talent. Its only when they go to Hollywood that the talent starts to get showcased. The best parts of the show are the weeding out process to get down to the top 12. From there the show becomes more of a popularity contest then a talent show. In my opinion, the best talent has rarely won. This is definitely true of the last three years. And most especially of this year. I saw the concert tour last Sunday. Adam blew everyone away. The only performer that could hold a candle to him was Allison. The rest ranged from pleasant to boring. Adam will be a star, the biggest star ever to come out of Idol when most of the others (including Kris) have faded from memory.

And because this show is so contrived and because America doesn't vote for talent but popularity, I've sworn off it.
    Hardy23 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    " In my opinion, the best talent has rarely won. This is definitely true of the last three years. And most especially of this year. I saw the concert tour last Sunday. Adam blew everyone away. The only performer that could hold a candle to him was Allison. The rest ranged from pleasant to boring. Adam will be a star, the biggest star ever to come out of Idol when most of the others (including Kris) have faded from memory.

And because this show is so contrived and because America doesn't vote for talent but popularity, I've sworn off it.
    This is bitter true that it is very rare that a deserved person should have won. But this is not fault of its creators. This is the fault of us, I mean to say audience. What are audience doing! They are voting him who is his/her favorite. They did not give the value to a talented singer but give the value whom they like. This is not right thing. Audience have to change this thinking of voting. They thinks from heart while voting. They should use their mind. Who is better and who deserve their valuable vote. If we change the way of voting then definitely a better singer will win every time. This thinking lies on every reality TV show. So this is my request to all the audience please bring this important change in your voting decision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happened? American Idol Public voting? [ 46 Answers ]

Melinda the best singer gets voted out. I am in shock.

Who likes American idol? [ 83 Answers ]

Well, the show just started another season & I'm all geared up for the entertainment! I usually watch it live or record it when I can't. Last week they started with the process of elimination. Some of these contestants were so bad but so humorous of course. Then after they get their walking...

American Idol - Who's it going to be? [ 14 Answers ]

So, who do you all think is going to win? Taylor or Katherine? My vote is Taylor, we need someone unique to win. :D

Any American Idol fans out there? [ 44 Answers ]

It's one of only 2-3 "network" TV shows we watch in my house... and for A.I. the eight of us are glued! I'm rooting for the Joe Cocker-ish fella, but am fairly sure he can't win.:( I predict the crooner was voted out yesterday. We'll find out tonight.

View more questions Search