Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    answerme_tender's Avatar
    answerme_tender Posts: 1,148, Reputation: 689
    Ultra Member

    Sep 15, 2010, 08:28 AM
    After high school can they go to some type college?
    Is there any programs available in college for special needs young adults after they leave high school? He can still be in high school until he is 21yrs, however he would like to go on to college. Now he is fully aware to best of his ability to understanding that he has a learning disablility, but that just means he will have to work longer then others to fully learn something. He is mildy mentally retarded with autism. My ex husband and I have always made sure he is fully involved in school, education and other school functions. We have also had him in Sylvan since kindergarten, to assist with reading comprehension and writing. Is there any possibility for him to go to college (is there sometype of resource classes there).
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

    Sep 15, 2010, 08:36 AM

    I doubt it... unless there are colleges for the learning diabled I don't know of.

    Regular college is challenging to the average person, He would HAVE to be able to keep up with everyone else on THEIR terms.

    Not everyone without a disability can even manage that load.
    slapshot_oi's Avatar
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

    Sep 15, 2010, 09:02 AM
    I don't know if an accredited, four-year school would have day programs for students with learning disabilities, and I tend to agree with smoothy and say no such thing exists because really, it's favoritism, and that wouldn't go over too well with the student body.

    But, there are private colleges dedicated to educating students with learning disabilities. Landmark is one them, but it comes with a pretty steep price tag. For reference, Landmark's tuition is $47,500, and after all the fees it's actually $56,800 total. That's more than Harvard at $50,724.

    Your best bet is to have him apply to a four-year university, public preferably because they're mandated by the state, and see if he gets in. If not, I'd look into community college.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 38,809, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

    Sep 15, 2010, 01:28 PM

    First of all, has he been professionally and medically diagnosed as having autism? He is mentally retarded too, or is that your supposition?

    How have his grades been in high school?

    Does have any ideas about what he would take in college, or even is thinking of a career path?
    answerme_tender's Avatar
    answerme_tender Posts: 1,148, Reputation: 689
    Ultra Member

    Sep 15, 2010, 02:30 PM

    Yes he has professionally been diagnosed as mildly mentally retardation and austism. He gets good grades, however they are modified. He would like to go to the community college and he would like to teach.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 38,809, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

    Sep 15, 2010, 03:03 PM

    Have you talked to a professional at the community college about his going there? Our community college would welcome someone like your son. Also, do you have a social service agency or social worker or doctor involved in your son's care, someone who could act as an advocate, if necessary?
    answerme_tender's Avatar
    answerme_tender Posts: 1,148, Reputation: 689
    Ultra Member

    Sep 16, 2010, 06:14 AM

    Great Idea never thought about getting our family doctor involved. He has been family doctor forever. I also spoke to his resource teacher and she is going to be talking to a contact that she knows at local comm college---thanks for all great advice
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 38,809, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

    Sep 16, 2010, 07:43 AM

    Usually community colleges have both free and paid tutoring in place and will also modify grades (pass/fail, for instance) as appropriate, and will direct your son to coursework that he can handle (not nuclear physics). Often fellow students will do peer tutoring, maybe free and maybe for a price.

    I have a young friend who is autistic and who attended four years of college. Granted, he has no other learning disability, but has the usual social problem because of his autism (poor eye contact and extreme shyness). With some tutoring , he did just fine and got a degree in English-Creative Writing. He volunteers at a school for autistic kids who can't be mainstreamed and is job hunting with an agency that places/coaches disabled young people for high-value jobs (not "workshop" jobs).

    There is lots of help out there for handicapped people to become useful citizens, so check with a social worker at your son's high school or at an area agency to find out the possibilities for him.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 38,809, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

    Sep 16, 2010, 09:56 AM

    Thanks for your help with this, its hard as a parent to explain him that he can't do something he wants so bad!!
    Be sure to tell him he has to be realistic. Our economy is so bad right now and his abilities may not be the right kind for him to get a job as a day-to-day classroom teacher. As he works on basic courses that will get him an associate degree at the community college, he may figure out that he has other talents and interests beyond wanting to be a teacher. Plus, the field of eduction is big enough that there may be a place for him in it doing something worthwhile but not as a classroom teacher -- but still working with kids (which is what I'm thinking he really wants to do). For instance, if he earned a library associate's certificate in community college, he would be well-qualified to work in the children's department of a public library -- or he might find out that he likes working in a library's tech services department and handling all the new children's books that come in. The possibilities are endless! Now, if only the economy would improve...
    answerme_tender's Avatar
    answerme_tender Posts: 1,148, Reputation: 689
    Ultra Member

    Sep 16, 2010, 11:07 AM

    He is 18yrs and will be able to stay in high school until he is 21yrs. He just got his first real job with local supermarket. We have been told how polite and helpful he is to everyone. Of course of all his co-workers are great with him. I will take your advise and start bringing up that he may want to try for some other career.
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

    Sep 16, 2010, 11:30 AM

    The flip side is before he would complete the College our economy may have improved over what it is currently, and he would not be looking at a job market as bad as the current one. We can hope anyway. Broaden his choices to other things he enjoys doing. Liking, and enjoying your job can be more important than exactly how much you make ultimately. And ultimately isn't that how we measure success?
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,299, Reputation: 5646

    Sep 16, 2010, 11:36 AM

    I tutored people like your son when I was in college. It was a wonderful experience for them, and myself.

    As WG said, don't have him set his sites quite so high. Many people in college tend to change their minor/major a few times before settling in on their final decision.
    Emland's Avatar
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

    Sep 16, 2010, 11:59 AM

    You might want to check with his guidance counselor or department of human services in your area to see if you have a rehabilitation center that he qualifies for.

    My son attended Woodrow Wilson Rehab Center Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center (WWRC) and was in a dorm atmosphere. He was evaluated for several different types of job skills that he was interested in.

    The program there has an initial screening period of 3 weeks then depending on the program they are there for 3 months to 12 months. We called it "college" because it was in a campus like atmosphere.

    This particular center has students that are developmentally delayed/MR as well as returning military vets who have a brain injury or other disability.
    dontknownuthin's Avatar
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

    Nov 26, 2010, 10:16 AM

    I recently learned that public colleges and universities offer special education services and do the equivalent of IEPs for students who have an active diagnosis. Of course the child must have the intellectual ability to learn college level material, but tutoring, help with organization and communication with professors, note taking assistance, counseling and many other services are available. Even to get into college, your child can get a smaller room setting and more time for entrance exams. I would recommend that you talk to your high school guidance counselor about ACT accommodations, and also talk to your local community college about their support services based on your child's diagnosis. A very hard aspect of college for most kids is assuming responsibility for meals, living somewhere else, leaving home and friends and so on, so maybe if your child made the transition to a still living at home and going community college first, you can take it a little slower and perhaps he could transfer to University as a Junior when he's learned how to manage college level classes. The key is to pick public colleges. Best wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you get into US college if you finish high school in some other country? [ 7 Answers ]

Can I get into US university after I finish high school in my country(Bosnia)?School system is different I've been looking for answerers on every site I could remember but I couldn't find Please help

Can I get into college with a online high school diploma? [ 11 Answers ]

I want to go to college but did not finish the 12th grade. Probably 1-2 credits shy. I am 29 now, married with a child! I want to go to college and get my life on track! Can I get into college with an online high school diploma? Which would you recommend? What is a life experience diploma?

How to recycle or dispose of high school-college yearbooks. [ 7 Answers ]

I am downsizing my home - 44 years married. My sons do not want all their yearbooks and between my husband and me and the sons, I need to dispose of about 12 yearbooks. How do you go about getting rid of yearbooks. Is there some way to recycle them?

College admissions from a particular high school [ 2 Answers ]

How can I find out about the college admissions from a partciular city high schoo, broken down by ethnic group? E.g. which colleges have accepted Caucasian students from Northside Prep high school in the past two years?

Why do immigrant dropout of high school or college? [ 2 Answers ]

Why do immigrant dropout of high school or college?

View more questions Search