Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    gophers1's Avatar
    gophers1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 8, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Adult 504 Plan
    Can an adult have a 504 plan?
    deedeeowens's Avatar
    deedeeowens Posts: 17, Reputation: 3
    New Member

    May 29, 2008, 10:17 AM
    I used to work in special education as a paraeducator. If I remember correctly a 504 plan was used when the student needed help but didn't qualify under the testing procedures as having a specific learning disability. Are you asking this question for a student that is an adult and still in the public school system?
    Tuscany's Avatar
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

    May 29, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Deedee is correct that is exactly what a 504 plan is.

    To answer your question, no adults cannot have a 504 plan, but can have accommodations that are outlined on their plan available when in college. So- if on your 504 plan you can take extended time to complete a test- then in college you can get that extended time. BUT it is the student's responsibility to advocate for the accommodations.

    504 plans in school do not cross over to the workforce though.
    Qu3rcusa's Avatar
    Qu3rcusa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 28, 2009, 12:26 AM
    Excuse me, but all of you naysayers might take a look at the law before you shoot from the hip. I suggest you examine Title I and Title II of the public document: published by the U.S. Department of Justice:

    Title I: Employement
    "Title I requires employers with 15 or more employees to provide qualified individuals with disabilities an equal opportunity to benefit from the full range of employment-related opportunities available to others. For example, it prohibits discrimination in recruitment, hiring, promotions, training, pay, social activities, and other privileges of employment."

    Title II: State and Local Government (Title II requires that State and local governments give people with disabilities an equal opportunity to benefit from all of their programs, services, and activities (e.g. public education, employment, transportation, recreation, health care, social services, courts, voting, and town meetings).

    "They are required to make reasonable modifications to policies, practices, and procedures where necessary to avoid discrimination, unless they can demonstrate that doing so would fundamentally alter the nature of the service, program, or activity being provided."

    If the employer falls within the state and federal employment umbrella (see above) then... "They are required to make reasonable modifications to policies, practices, and procedures where necessary to avoid discrimination, unless they can demonstrate that doing so would fundamentally alter the nature of the service, program, or activity being provided."

    This is usually done through a hearing process to make a determination as to the degree of burden on the employee or agency balanced against possible discrimination by not providing accommodation to the employee. For example: if the employee is insulin dependent, requiring, let's say, Humilin, which requires refrigeration, and works as a school secretary, the school corporation would probably be required to make allowances to allow the secretary to have a minifridge in her office area to access and administer injections with relative ease and privacy (off the cuff example). I know an administrator who had significant foot problems, and was required to wear a certain orthopedic shoe that didn't go with her expected professional attire (suit). Her 504 limited her on her feet time, and made policy exceptions so she could continue as a building Asst. Princ. She also utilized FMLA, which I would recommend to anyone who might have intermittent off work time related to their disability (therapy, surgery, recovery, etc.).

    The lack of knowledge on this issue in this discussion board is typical of the level of knowledge most people have on the subject. Employers do NOT go out of the way to suggest 504 solutions for employees or for students (they don't get $$ for servicing 504 plans for students in school corps, but they DO get $$ to administer IEPs).

    I know this is late, but hopefully someone will benefit from this post.
    dragondfc's Avatar
    dragondfc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 4, 2012, 10:38 PM
    I hope you can help. I am desperately in need of advice - I even have a lawyer provided by my union - but he is not exactly helpful.

    I am a teacher who suffered a brain injury in 2008. I have recovered sufficiently to return to teaching - a profession that I adore. I returned to teaching later in 2008. I was granted a 504 plan in 2009 to cover residual effects - sensitivity to heat. The 504 has since been found to be insufficient, and despite letters from 3 doctors, the Board of Education refuses to transfer me to a school closer to my home to address neurofatigue. (My school district has 11 elementary schools. One is 5 minutes from my house.) What can I do?

    (Example of effects of neurofatigue - Despite my request to my principal to the contrary, I had to place my students' work in a display case after school. This required me to actually get into the display case - it is like a large trophy case. The school did not provide a ladder. I brought one from home. Unfortunately, despite my planning, I fell from the showcase and broke my upper arm. I was out of school for 2 months.)

    Any suggestions?

    Signed: Desperate
    poopsie30083's Avatar
    poopsie30083 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 11, 2012, 04:50 AM
    I am so sorry for what happened to you. I don't have an answwer for your problem, however,are you eligible for disability? Also, can you sue the school system? Something really needs to be done.
    jooks's Avatar
    jooks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 13, 2013, 08:55 AM
    Qu3rcusa: I am in tears with the information you just shared. I have been a public school Speech-Language Pathologist for 16 years, which is in the department of Special Education, so I am knowledgeable about 504s for students. (Yes, know a 504 plan is not Special Education.)

    However, In the last two years, I have been diagnosed with a severe anxiety disorder AD/HD. These two disorders are being managed with medication, but I find myself becoming less and less effective as an SLP because of the non-SLP demands of the school district where I work. I am just beginning to research the steps of getting a 504 for myself, so that I can do the job I was hired to do, but don't quite know where to start. Your post has been immensely helpful. Thank you.
    Ruthieadell85's Avatar
    Ruthieadell85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 15, 2013, 12:28 PM
    Can you tell me how to get my husband on the ADA that protects his rights. He sometimes needs extra breaks at work because he struggles with dsthymia (double depression). There seems to be nothing out there that states how to sign him up to receive services or anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an adult get a 504 plan? [ 3 Answers ]

Can an adult get a 504 plan? A teacher friend of mind has high blood pressure which has proven to be drug resistant. Can she get a 504 plan requiring that she not be given a certain non-teaching duty that she presently has. This is a stressful duty that her doctor does not want her to continue...

How should I plan? [ 1 Answers ]

Should I charge by the sq. ft. What equipment should I buy? Is it a smart idea to hire anybody starting? Is it worth doing residential cleaning?

Plan B [ 2 Answers ]

I had unprotected sex 2 days after my period. We had a mistake and I was worried, so I took Plan B because I am not on birth control. A week later I got my period. Now it is right around the time that I should get it, but I haven't. Also I took a pregency test 2 days ago and it was negative. ...

Plan B? [ 1 Answers ]

So I had unprotected sex and I ended up taking Plan B that day after. But now three days later my b/f had sex and the condom broke... so does that mean I am pregnant for sure? Should I take another Plan B? Or is the pill still in my system?

View more questions Search