Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peterx4785 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2009, 10:05 PM
    Laptop does not display
    I have a IBM thinkpad laptop. The screen does not display anymore since last week. I wonder what is wrong. Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Peter
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2009, 10:43 PM

Does it seem to startup but just nothing on the screen?

Unplug laptop and take battery out and hold the power button in for 20 secs and then release and just plug in with no battery and try to start.

If nothing, unplug and just put battery in and try to start

Do you have access to an external monitor you could hook up to see if it can be seen on ext. monitor?

If nothing works above and ext.. Monitor does work, there is problem with laptop display and will have to have it serviced
    AKJammer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Peter,

After you've done everything SeaHawk recommended and it still is black, here's how you can fix it if it's not under warranty.
    If you DO get an external display when hooking it to a monitor, don't forget to hit the function key combination to send the display to the outside monitor, then the problem is probably with the Inverter board causing a very dim display.
    Put your computer in very good light and turn it on. Look very carefully, do you see the image, but very, very dimly? If so it's the inverter that's bad. It's a small circuit card located below the LCD panel in the top lid.
    Do a search on eBay for your computer brand and the word inverter. You'll find them ranging in price from $20-$40. The instructions on how to change it are often in the eBay listing.
    If you or a friend can't get it to display on an external monitor, it's probably a bad motherboard or video card. Major service issues with that. If it's not under warranty, it may be time to pull the hard drive and get yourself another computer.

Luck,
    AKJammer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop to lcd TV display [ 3 Answers ]

I have a sony vaio laptop and a Samsung 40 inch lcd TV. I am wanting to run my laptop through the TV. When I plug the laptop in - the TV won't pick it up yet when I plug my PC into the TV - it works fine Why is this?

Laptop is connected but won't display webpages [ 2 Answers ]

I am using a sky wireless router and it says it is connected but if I try to go on a page it says page cannot be displayed is there anything I can do to make it work?

Laptop screen does not display anything [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everybody, My laptop does not display anything on the screen. Last saturdau it had problem and started to reboot automatically after 10-15 minutes of start. Displayed some error like "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR" message in the blue screen. Now yesterday onwards it does not detect the Hard...

Plasma won't work as a display for my laptop . [ 1 Answers ]

In the past I have been able to use my plasma TV as a display for my laptop with relative ease. Basically I just connect it up via a vga cord and hit Fn/F4 which shoots the image up to the plasma. Each time you hit Fn/F4 it kind of scrolls through having the picture on both the laptop and...

Laptop display [ 2 Answers ]

I have a toshiba laptop and the hinges on the screen are busted so the screen will not stay up. It just flops forward(closed) or back(open). The laptop has the speakers on the sides of the screen and they look like they are popped up but I have tried to push them down and it does nothing they don't...

View more questions Search