Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Grammarian-Bot Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Feb 2, 2006, 09:16 PM
    Correct word use
    Incorrect: It is essential that you are on time.
    Correct: It is essential that you be on time.

Incorrect: He suggested that we should meet at the train.
    Correct: He suggested that we meet ate the train.

Please can you tell me what is the logic behind using "be" instead of "are" in the first sentence with "essential" and using "meet" instead of "should meet" in the second sentence with "suggested". Can you name this error or specify any key words for this error. I've taken these sentences from Barrons Gmat Guide and thae call it "Errors in verbs followed by verb words" but I can't find any sources for this topic on the internet.
    Thank You.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2006, 07:59 AM
    Interesting. I, also, cannot find one single source (online) speaking of this type of error.

Do you have a copy of Strunk's Elements of Style? I wonder what they say.

Many English "rules" are not "cut and dried" - and what is "correct English" varies a bit from source to source.

... can't help but wonder, though:

What about "He suggested we meet at the train" (without "that" or "should"). Might some call that acceptable?
    oldmanriver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 05:57 AM
    Is "who each of is" correct grammar? :)
    keke2168 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Revise this sentence. When reviewing resumes', applicants with great references and great sales experience are always given great preference by our HR director.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Correct Alphabetizing Practice [ 5 Answers ]

My boss is telling me that it is not correct to file "Mc" in front of the "M's" in other words before "Ma". I always thought it was a rule. Does anyone know the correct rule? Thank You.:confused:

Is This Correct? [ 13 Answers ]

Could someone tell me if I have these correct and if not what'd I do wrong. Thank you. January 8 Purchased a one-year insurance policy, effective February 1, for $3,360. Debit: Insurance Expense Credit: Prepaid Insurance Completed several consulting jobs, which totaled $52,000. Cash of...

Another Flange Challenge And need to correct it [ 9 Answers ]

I have installed about 8 toilets to date. So know the basics well. And this is the third one in my parents home in a basement, on ceramic laid on a concrete floor. Aging, more flush, higher toilet etc. I installed last night a new American Standard Champion two piece comfort height elongated...

MS Word - multiple instances of the same word? [ 1 Answers ]

In MS Word, is there a way to highlight a section of text and get some sort of read on which words appear the most often? Thanks Paul

Adding a word and its meaning to Word Dictionary [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I know how to add a word to the existing system dictionary in MS Office 2002. Now I need to know how to add a meaning to the new word which I added into the dictionary. Can anyone suggest the procedure. Thanks in advance. SAI

View more questions Search