Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    mmdorton's Avatar
    mmdorton Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 30, 2012, 07:02 AM
    I work for city government. I am part time and was suppose to start my fulltime position 5 months ago. Went and signed my paperwork for my issurance and things at that time. I still have not started yet, and what I understand is that the department that approves the switch hasn't given the OK to start yet, it's been a while now. Does my union have the right to push this situation or do I need to talk to an attorney?
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

    Aug 30, 2012, 07:05 AM
    First... Union or no union... you don't have a RIGHT to a full time job if the employer doesn't want you to have it... and that very well might be the case that they can't afford it.

    Many Cities are going bankrupt and far more are having trouble paying the bills. Your city might be one of them.

    Count your blessings you at least have a part time job.

    You can talk to your Union.. but the employer still has the final decision. Make a big enough stink and they might just decide to cut your position altogether.

    Hate to be so blunt, but that's the reality of the job market at the moment.
    mmdorton's Avatar
    mmdorton Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 30, 2012, 07:35 AM
    Thank you
    ballengerb1's Avatar
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,379, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

    Aug 30, 2012, 05:34 PM
    I agree, pushing this may end up a disaster for you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search