Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Klondike Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Terminated over email at work
    Hello,

I live in Minneapolis and recently I was terminated for email that took place between myself and a non employee that contained sexually explicit content, text.

I never received any warning or write up, just called into the office shown the printed copies of our email and terminated.

The emails were never about company secrets (not as if we had any anyways).

Do I have any legal recourse?
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Were you using the company's email? They have every right to if you were. Just like they had the right to read your mail.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 24, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Here in our government office we are shown the 'email acceptable use policy'. You must have such a document there as well for them to base their dismissal with cause. It is odd that you were not given a warning first.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2007, 11:45 AM
    True, we have one of those as well. They send out reminders every so often...
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 24, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Generally, when you start with a company, you are given the speech/paperwork to the effect that you can not use company equipment for personal use.

Company email is company equipment.

You probably have no legal recourse. What you were doing was personal business on company time and in company property.
    Klondike Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Because the company is a small company, they use an outsourcing company to handle the HR responsibilities. Although we eventually had to sign internet usage policy, no in depth discussion was ever brought up in regards to email.

The fact that it was the companies email and equipment shouldn't be relevant if I know for a fact that other employees including the CEO use the email for personal use, i.e. spouses, siblings, friends and so on.

I really appreciate all of your responses!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 24, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Klondike
    The fact that it was the companies email and equipment shouldn't be relevant if I know for a fact that other employees including the CEO use the email for personal use, i.e. spouses, siblings, friends and so on.
    Oh but you are wrong. The fact that it was company e-mail and company equipment is VERY relevant.

You say you had to sign an internet usage policy, what did that policy say? I suspect it said more than enough to justify terminating you. Do you really think that sending sexually explicit e-mail using your company facilities was OK to do?

Give me a break here. I don't think you have even a hint of legal recourse. Your only hope is that they don't tell anyone the exact reason they fired you.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 24, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Sorry but in the matter of law it does not matter that they do it too. Also personal use and explicit sexual content are two different animals. What matters is that you signed an internet usage policy, most likely without reading it, and you violated some of the policies.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 24, 2007, 03:39 PM
    No, you do not have any legal recourse for being fired. You say you know others who use the email for personal uses. Did that make your usage right? No. Anyone should know, must know, that sending sexually explicit email to anyone from their workplace, is a justifiable termination of employment.

It would not matter if you went and tattled on the other employees - it is not going to get your job back.
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

May 24, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Well, seeing as how you were using a company owned computer, on company time, to send emails of an explicit nature, you really don't have any recourse. It doesn't matter if others do it or not, it's just that you are the one that got caught.
    fowlerbunch Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Hello,

I live in Minneapolis and recently I was terminated for email that took place between myself and a non employee that contained sexually explicit content, text.

I never received any warning or write up, just called into the office shown the printed copies of our email and terminated.

The emails were never about company secrets (not as if we had any anyways).

Do I have any legal recourse?
    I was terminated over an email and the only thing I got was unemployment because the claim was unfounded

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get off probation early or terminated [ 21 Answers ]

Is there any way you can have your probation terminated after you have met all your fines and community service.

Bonus Payout for terminated employee [ 2 Answers ]

Our company offers participation in a profit-sharing program, to be paid out after the books are closed at the end of the fiscal year. A participant in last years bonus pool is no longer with the company so I don't know if I should just send her a check or run it through payroll so that she/we pay...

How to have one parent rights terminated [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how to have my daughters father rights terminated. He has nothing to do with her. Unless his sister takes her over there. But I just found out that when she goes over he has nothing to do with her. He pay childsupport but its nothing. He said he would sign his rights over but, I'm in...

How to account for advance given to terminated employee [ 2 Answers ]

The situation: an employee was given an advance by either check or materials charged to the company for personal use. The employee is unable to reimburse the company in a reasonable perior of time for the advance and the employee's final paycheck does not cover it. I'm unsure whether to run this...

View more questions Search