Is my employer required to pay the federal per diem rate if they send me out of town to work? I live in Colorado and they want to send me to South Dakota for a month. I have no contract with this company (I'm a tree trimmer), they will give me a company truck to use. They said the per diem is about $70-75. The GSA website says that lodging is $77 and meals, etc. is $51. Also, after that job ends, they want me to work in Cheyenne, WY (approx. 100 miles) for up to 3 years, and say there is no per diem for that job. I would have to use my own car and gas, etc. Are they supposed to pay per diem for that?