Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    900295 Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 10:55 PM
    Looking to get a Babysitting Job
    I am 12 years old and I am trying to get a job as a babysitter. Most parents I think would probably want someone to be a bit older than me to babysit. What can I do to show to parents that I am capable of taking care of their child?
    Shaunta Posts: 204, Reputation: 8

Jul 10, 2007, 11:01 PM
    Oh I Don't Know Wher You Are But I Iknow Here In Rochester You Can Go To The Red Cross And They Offer Babysitting Classes... It's a Small Fee Or At Least Was One When I Took The Classes And When You Pass That Your Are A Registered Babysitter :)
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2007, 03:13 AM
    I believe you learn by doing. I think you should work at getting one or two people to agree to you babysitting for a couple of hours and see how that goes. If all goes well ask them to recommend you to their friends.

I don't know if you have done any babysitting yet but it is a great responsibility. Young children can be very mischievous and adventurous. They can have accidents like jumping and falling off their bed, choking, or just crying a lot cause they want their mommy.

Perhaps sticking to slightly older children would be a good idea for now.

Good luck I hope it all works out for you.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Do you have any babysitting experience? As with most other jobs, you'll probably have to start slow and work your way up. As you get older, it would naturally be assumed that you'd be capable of handling more responsibility. You may want to start with relatives and family friends who have young children. Begin by sitting for parents who are only out for a couple of hours and not at late hours. As you gain experience yourself confidence will increase and so will others' confidence in you. Then you'll be able to start taking on babysitting jobs that include longer periods, later hours/overnights, etc.
    900295 Posts: 74, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Thank.. Btw how much money should I charge for each hour?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 05:27 PM
    For starters, I'd suggest $4 per hour. Later, when you're a little older and a little more experienced you can charge $5/hour.
    horse_crazy_1400 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 900295
    I am 12 years old and I am trying to get a job as a babysitter. Most parents I think would probably want someone to be a bit older than me to babysit. What can I do to show to parents that I am capable of taking care of their child?
    Well First if you don't have a license you need to get one. You could get one at your local YMCA or Red Crross they give classes and it doesn't cost that much. Once you get your license show it to the parent and I'm sure they can't say no!
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 13, 2007, 05:33 AM
    Learn child/infant CPR and First Aid. If I wanted to hire a babysitter, that would be a requirement. The Red Cross will have classes. :)

Good luck!
    sportzislifesarah92 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 09:16 PM
    do you have any older brother or sister to help you get started?! Like I'm 14 and I someimes let my sister come along [shes 12 too] to help me out just to show her the ropes and things like that. Plus if anything serious happens I have a license and know what to do. And I let her get a share in the money. [its not half and half though, I get more] or if you don't then maybe go with a friend [two is always better than one] and if you aren't licensed then it's a must! They teach you really important stuff like CPR and how to give the heimlich maneuver. Also what to do if the parents return home drunk or try to touch you. [don't worry its never happened to me] some places you could go are the Red Cross or I went to Children's Hospital. I started w/ 3 dollars an hour just because it's a low price and parents like that you suggest cheap so they hire you more and sometimes you get a little extra.

Hope it Helps! =]
    O_Troubles Posts: 313, Reputation: 20

Aug 13, 2007, 09:56 PM
    Take a babysitting cource and get a certificate of approval they usually have them at skools or community centers the certificate will help a lot also seee if you have family or friends of the family you can babysit for free for to get references
    Babysitter_1996 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Oct 9, 2008, 12:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
    I believe you learn by doing. I think you should work at getting one or two people to agree to you babysitting for a couple of hours and see how that goes. If all goes well ask them to recommend you to their friends.

I don't know if you have done any babysitting yet but it is a great responsibility. Young children can be very mischievous and adventurous. They can have accidents like jumping and falling off their bed, choking, or just crying a lot cause they want their mommy.

Perhaps sticking to slightly older children would be a good idea for now.

Good luck I hope it all works out for you.
    Thanks
    PeaceChickLove4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 01:31 PM
    I think you could get a job too! Like I'm 12 also. And I've babysat a lot a lot! Just find people.. like my firrst job was with family,(my sister and her baby) then I went to my church and I babysat for some people there! I'm sure you can be a great babysitter. Just don't forget to take the course. I've taken it like MANY times. And its fun! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Babysitting [ 2 Answers ]

Can you tell me how old a child has to be to legally babysit in Ontario

How much should I charge for babysitting? [ 18 Answers ]

I recently stared babysitting my friends 18 mo old boy for 3 hrs a day. I really helped her out of a jam, because her other babysitter bailed. So far she said she would pay me whatever tips she made in that time. (She's a Barista) Every thing is working well so she's going to have me be her...

Babysitting Ad [ 4 Answers ]

So I'm trying to write a babysitting ad, but I don't know what to put on it, just list off good things about me or what? I'm an honors kid I volunteer, blah blah blah:confused:

Babysitting Trouble [ 1 Answers ]

Okay so I'm babysitting this 6-7 minth old little boy and he looked so tired when he was drinking his bottle... now I put him in his crib and he doesn't seem tired... what do I do?? Do I get him.. or let him cry!:confused:

View more questions Search