Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinky5 Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Aug 10, 2007, 10:21 AM
    My mini yourkie still goes in the house
    I have a 2 yr. old mini yourkie. She still goes to the bathroom in the house. I try so hard to train her. In the beginning we were taking her out every 1/2 hr. Now we do every hr. She does go outside but also inside. She will even go right infrount of us! And she knows its bad cause after she goes, she hides. My husband says she's just a retarded dog. My house smells so bad. People say they don't smell it, but I do. And it makes me sick. I will never get rid of her because I love her like a daughter. Is there still any hope? Or is she going to do this the rest of her life.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 10:45 PM
    Try following the methods in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809

The last paragraph cover some of the differences with an older dog.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 06:00 AM
    What do you do when she goes right in front of you/husband ? Is she spayed?
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2007, 06:49 AM
    In looking over your question, I failed to mention needing to talk to the vet about a possible physical problem. The sticky was written for healthy, young puppies. Adjust for the timing, and it should work for a healthy adult.

Aug 11, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    What do you do when she goes right in front of you/husband ? Is she spayed?
    Yea, she's spayed. My husband yells at her and smacks her. I yell at her but I don't smack her.

Aug 11, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Try following the methods in the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809

The last paragraph cover some of the the differences with an older dog.
    Thank you for your advise. We had her at the doctors. They never said anything. But maybe I should mention it so they can look at that area closer. You know I was thinking the same thing also. Maybe she just can't hold it. But if I'm standing right there, you would think she would go to the door. She does go to the door, but not always.
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2007, 10:02 AM
    My sticky doesn't include smacking and yelling. It could be sometimes she doesn't have much warning. Do you praise her for going to the door?

Aug 11, 2007, 10:09 AM
    My sticky doesn't include smacking and yelling. It could be sometimes she doesn't have much warning. Do you praise her for going to the door?
    Yea, we always give her a milk bone. Those are her favorite. When she goes in the house, this is what we do, we yell "bad daisy! what did you do? where you bad?" And those are our exact words. But my husband smacks her and I yell at him cause she's so little. She's only 5 pounds. How do you think I should handle it if nothings wrong with her at the vet?
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Giving a sharp ''Ah, ah. Ah!'' and gently picking her up and taking her out is in line with current trends in dog training. Just quietly clean it up if you don't catch her in the act.
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 11:33 AM
    I do not believe in yelling and smacking dogs, I think it only makes the problems worse. When and if my dogs have an accident in the house and this is rare. I clean it up, and toss the soiled cloth out into the yard. I think it lets them know that their pee & poo goes in the yard. My pom was very hard to train and the vet says that she has a small bladder,so she stills has accidents,but please do not allow people to hit your dog or scare her.

Aug 11, 2007, 11:38 AM
    I do not believe in yelling and smacking dogs, I think it only makes the problems worse. When and if my dogs have an accident in the house and this is rare. I clean it up, and toss the soiled cloth out into the yard. I think it lets them know that their pee & poo goes in the yard. My pom was very hard to train and the vet says that she has a small bladder,so she stills has accidents,but please do not allow people to hit your dog or scare her.
    I will let my husband read this cause he won't believe me. I don't believe in smacking dogs either. She's like my daughter! Thank you for your advise.

Aug 11, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Giving a sharp ''Ah, ah. ah!'' and gently picking her up and taking her out is in line with current trends in dog training. Just quietly clean it up if you don't catch her in the act.
    I will try that. Thank you.
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Let me tell you about a little dog that my husbands family had. They bought him when he was 6-8 weeks old.paid 300 hundred for him and got all of his shots etc.. He is a rat terrier chihahui mix. No one took him out to the potty like he needed for them to. They yelled at him from the beginning. While he was with them for a year, they started to starve him so he would not poop in the house, he would poop and pee everywhere, in their bed in the floor on the couch. The poor dog was looking for a place to use the potty without getting screamed at or hit over. I have him for almost 2 years and I can say that when I find a mess in my house that 9 times out of 10 it is my pom. Other than submissive peeing( which I just ignore and clean up. & toss out) he never does anything wrong and listens to every word we say. They told us he was hopeless and dumb etc... he was on his way to the SPCA the day I went and got him from those nut cases. Needless to say that my husband nor I have much to do with these cruel people. They clamied that they were feeding him but within weeks, of me having him he started to gain weight.I'm sorry that they even share our last name. Please be patient and firm with your dog, labman has wonderful advice but you and your family must take the time to train your dog with patience and love, without her being in FEAR. I don't much believe in potty pads but I work with a woman that has had much success training her 2 toy breeds to use them, if all else fails you might give them a try.

Aug 11, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Let me tell you about a little dog that my husbands family had. they bought him when he was 6-8 weeks old.paid 300 hundred for him and got all of his shots etc.. he is a rat terrier chihahui mix. no one took him out to the potty like he needed for them to. They yelled at him from the beginning. While he was with them for a year, they started to starve him so he would not poop in the house, he would poop and pee everywhere, in their bed in the floor on the couch. the poor dog was looking for a place to use the potty without getting screamed at or hit over. I have him for almost 2 years and I can say that when I find a mess in my house that 9 times out of 10 it is my pom. other than submissive peeing( which I just ignore and clean up.,& toss out) he never does anything wrong and listens to every word we say. They told us he was hopeless and dumb etc... he was on his way to the SPCA the day I went and got him from those nut cases. Needless to say that my husband nor I have much to do with these cruel people. They clamied that they were feeding him but within weeks, of me having him he started to gain weight.I'm sorry that they even share our last name. Please be patient and firm with your dog, labman has wonderful advice but you and your family must take the time to train your dog with patience and love, without her being in FEAR. I don't much believe in potty pads but I work with a woman that has had much success training her 2 toy breeds to use them, if all else fails you might give them a try.
    That is such a sad story. I hate hearing stuff like that. I don't know how people abuse their animals like that. Its not like we are doing any of those things. I would never do something so horrible to a helpless animal. But I do understand that my husband should not hit her at all. I always scream at him. She does get so scared. We tried those potty pads. She would just play with them and pee next to them. I swear I would just get new carpets if I had to cause that's how much I love my dog. But my husband is always threating to give her away because she's so bad and retarded. I think he says those things to upset me because its something that I care so deeply about. And she's not a bad dog at all. She only goes in the house oh and when people are outside she'll run up to them and pee on them! Oops! That's because she's such a people dog. She love people and other animals even cats! But other than that, she's a good dog. When we first got her, she ran away all the time, would not go outside at all, chewed EVERYTHING in sight including all my shoes and son's toys. But she don't do any of those things anymore. I have problems in my marriage, so I know this sounds weird, I love her so much, I kind of talk to her as a person. She's like my best friend. I know that's kind of weird. I think my husband just gets jealous. He said "I can't wait, 13 more yrs. until shes gone. We will never get another dog again." And my family is dog lovers. We always had dogs. I can't live without one. They are a part of the family. I believe that's what make the family a family. They complete it. And I know his family always had dogs,too. He just hates her because of me. Sad, huh? But seriously, I would never let him hurt her. I would probably divorce him if he ever would. That would just be an excuse to get a divorce! But thank you for your concern.
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 03:03 PM
    I can tell that you are in a bad situation and your dog is stuck in the middle of it. To often abusive people use the dog to hurt the other one. I really do not know how to advise you. But I can tell you, I am sure the dog is not at fault. Me I would get rid of his a$$. I am afraid that no matter how you try with the dog unless she feels secure around every member in the house she will have these accidents. For her peeing on the strangers it is most likely out of fear. I am going to make you angry, by saying that if your husband can not treat this dog right you should consider getting rid of one of them. Just put yourself in the poor doggy's place. Is he home alone with her? I really feel bad for you, your children and your dog.

Aug 11, 2007, 03:10 PM
    I can tell that you are in a bad situation and your dog is stuck in the middle of it. to often abusive people use the dog to hurt the other one. I really do not know how to advise you. But I can tell you, I am sure the dog is not at fault. Me I would get rid of his a$$. I am afraid that no matter how you try with the dog unless she feels secure around every member in the house she will have these accidents. For her peeing on the strangers it is most likely out of fear. I am going to make you angry, by saying that if your husband can not treat this dog right you should consider getting rid of one of them. Just put yourself in the poor doggy's place. Is he home alone with her? I really feel bad for you, your children and your dog.
    She pees on people because she gets so excited. She rolls over to have her belly rubbed then she pees a little. The doctor says that's normal for small dogs to get excited and pee. I like your advise about getting rid of him, but I would never get rid of my dog! I never really thought about my dog is in the middle of this all. I just really thought about that right now when you mentioned it. I can see that. But for my son, I think he's OK. People say that I should not leave my husband because of our son. I don't believe in that. I think my son does need to be happy but I also feel that I do too. Don't you? Yea, a divorce is bad but in the long run everything could turn out OK.
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 03:20 PM
    I am sure your dog is showing submissive behavior when she rolls on her belly and pees. This is not because eshe is happy, but from showing you /them that she is submissive. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. You must convince your husband that he is making her worse by treating her badly. Get some books and read them about dogs and their behaviors. Are you a stay at home mom?

Aug 11, 2007, 03:28 PM
    I am sure your dog is showing submissive behavior when she rolls on her belly and pees. This is not becaus eshe is happy, but from showing you /them that she is submissive. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. You must convince your husband that he is making her worse by treating her badly. Get some books and read them about dogs and their behaviors. Are you a stay at home mom?
    I tell him all the time to stop. He doesn't go anymore than a smack. But its still wrong. Yes, I am a stay at home mom. But she is a very happy dog. You can definitely tell. She's always waging her little tail and always playing. But I still think that she pees a little when she sees people is because she's excited. She's done that the first time we played with her and decided to take her home. At the pet store we even asked why she does that and they even told us that she's just excited.
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Yes excitement when she is small, but that should have stopped by now. I am sure it is because she is frightened. Honey I have seen dogs that were scared wag their tails, there are different wags for different feelings. You really need to do a lot of reading about dogs. By no means am I a trainer, but I do love to read about dogs and sometimes pick up a stray. Rubypitbull will come along and give you some very good advice I am sure and I hope that you read labmans stickey. However I do not think that she can be helped if the yelling and smacking does not stop.

Aug 11, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Yes excitement when she is small, but that should have stoped by now. I am sure it is because she is frightened. Honey I have seen dogs that were scared wag their tails, there are different wags for different feelings. You really need to do alot of reading about dogs. By no means am I a trainer, but I do love to read about dogs and sometimes pick up a stray. Rubypitbull will come along and give you some very good advice I am sure and I hope that you read labmans stickey. However I do not think that she can be helped if the yelling and smacking does not stop.
    You're a dog trainer? That's cool. So you don't think that's normal? Maybe I should take her to the vet. Someone told me that she could just have a problem with going all the time. I will have to look into it. And I will let you know. Thank you for all your advise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mini dauschund [ 5 Answers ]

My mini dauschund has just started constantly licking and more so scratching herself all the time. She never used to do this and now she's doing it so much she's starting to scratch herself bald in spots. How can I make her feel better so she stops? Please help.

House training a mini pinscher [ 1 Answers ]

I recently got a mini pinscher from a friend of mine. She said she just didn't have time to take care of him and wanted him to have a home that had time for him. I stay home all day so I have all the time in the world. When he came here she said he was house trained, but I'm starting to wonder. ...

Mini Doxie [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old miniture doxie who is just wonderful. I know every mom says this, but I think he is an over achiever! Anyway, he recently started sleeping on the heat runs when the heat is on. This is something new, as he usually would go into his crate to sleep or find a blanket. Should I be...

House Training a Mini Dachshund [ 4 Answers ]

Hey All...First off I'm a newbie to the site and wanted to say that I have been reading on the advice passed from each and am wondering if I can get some ideas. I have a mini dachshund that is 1 yr old. I have had dachshunds all my life but none have ever been this stubborn. My lil Sammie is a...

Help mini to adjust [ 1 Answers ]

Mini is a 4yr old chihuahua,I have had here since she was 5 weeks.Mike is 9 weeks and got him 2 days ago.Mini avoids Mike and he just runs to her wanting to play and she wants no part of him.What can I do to help Mini adjust?

View more questions Search