Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzyro Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Identifying southwestern hallmark
    Can anyone help me identify a southwestern hallmark on a necklace I recently acquired? It looks like a half sun with 6 rays on the top and the word sterling under the half sun. I was told that this could be from a line that J C Penneys commissioned from native Americans when they opened their store in Tucson - the line was called the native American Collection according to the seller... but I cannot find anything on this line when I search the internet. It is also not in my Hallmarks of the Southwest book. Any info would be appreciated. The piece has a beautiful turquoise heart at the bottom with variscite stars and spiny hearts leading to the heart. Only the heart is stamped with this sun hallmark. Thanks for any info -
    briolette Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

Feb 14, 2009, 08:45 PM

Does Hopi jeweler Merle Namoki look anything like it?

more Silversmiths
    suzyro Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2009, 12:42 AM
    It is similar - but my necklace hallmark has a total of 6 rays above .thanks so much for the idea - please let me know of any other possibilities... or if you know of any place to look for hallmarks - surely there is some type of registry for all the native silver hallmarks. My book is not complete - it seems like every time I need to find a hallmark it is not in it...
    briolette Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

Feb 15, 2009, 07:55 AM
    Try doing searches for the Sun's Forehead Clan. As I was checking through my bookmarks for that particular symbol, it was mentioned somewhere that that symbol - the sun forehead - is used by several artisans from that clan of Hopi tribe members (I have so many bookmarks, I'll try to find it again & post it here for you). It wouldn't surprise me if there were slight variations on that same theme within them.

The following is regarding a different bio from the same website I posted earlier:
    ...Weaver lives in the Second Mesa village of Shungopovi, is a member of the Sun's Forehead Clan and uses the Sun's Forehead as his hallmark...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identifying hallmark for a native american silversmith [ 9 Answers ]

Several months ago my wife bought a belt buckle at a garage sale. It is fairly ornate with two bear claws, three pieces of turquoise ranging in size from the size of my thumbnail to the size of my index fingernail and two pieces of red coral. My first assumption on the bear claws was that they...

Arkansas Southwestern Bell 8 year old debt [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a call from a collection agency saying I had an old debt from 2000 withsouthwestern bell. They were very rude and told me that I didn't pay my bills and that I was just buying time by wanting them to produce the bill showing what I owed. I was told no when I asked to speak to their...

Identifying signature/hallmark on vintage Navajo bolo. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Have recently bought a silver bolo which I believe is Navajo in origin. I was told it was at least 60 years old. Quite large it measures 3 1/2 x 2 3/4 inches and weighs on a postal scale 120 grams. The front is set with pieces of coral and turquoise and in the center is a dimensional figure...

View more questions Search