Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vARSITYteNNis Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jul 23, 2008, 04:08 PM
    I am well-rounded, now what career do I choose?
    All right, here are the facts:

1. I get great grades in every subject in school
    2. I love everything from art to math to science to history
    3. I am willing to go to school as long as I need to
    4. I am hardworking and determined
    5. I am great with people
    6. I am in great shape
    7. I want to do something that will have an impact on someone’s life
    8. I want to create change and act as a leader
    9. I don’t want to sit in a desk all day, I rather be out doing, rather than sitting

So, my question, what do I do with my life? I could be a professional tennis player, or a criminal physiologist. I could be an architect or an artist. I could be a photographer for National Geographic or a mathematician. Does anyone have a suggestion that fit all of my criteria? Thanks tons! =]
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Jul 23, 2008, 04:12 PM
    What about public relations? You'd be out meeting with people, you'd be helping people, you have to be determined and you could create some change.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Jul 27, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Go to this site and take the Self Directed Search. It will cost 9.95USD. The result will be a report that will give your career preferences score on six dimensions: Realistic, Investigative, Artistic, Social, Entrepreneurial, and Conventional. The top three scores give you your Holland profile. Holland's theory says that you are likely to be happiest in careers that more or less match your profile. It will give you several lists of possible career choices, starting with the best matches. How does it match? The SDS runs on a database of many thousands of test results, and they've matched actual career satisfaction with a person's Holland profile.

So this will give you a list of careers that people with similar Holland scores have been pretty happy with. Now what? You can investigated each career on the O*Net online site. Look at your report (or the sample report on the site): each career listed has a DOT Number associated with it. Go to the O*Net site here and enter the DOT Number for the career you're interested in investigating in the field "DOT code or title search". This will give you all kinds of interesting information about the career, including education needed, job prospects, skills needed, median earnings in the USA, etc. You can even get a report tailored for a specific state. (this is all based on U.S. government data, so bear in mind that if you're in a different country the situation may be different there)

Note that this doesn't tell you that you'd be good at something, but it does tell you the sorts of careers you'd likely be happy with given your preferences.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a Chair Rail with rounded corners? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new house and in case you don't know most new homes now have rounded corners. And I'm installing a chair rail in one room that has them. The chair rail I bought doesn't have the pre-made rounded corners that can be bought at Home Depot or Lowe's. So my question is how do I have a chair...

Which one should I choose? [ 3 Answers ]

Well i have a major dilema. I just started going out with this guy who is just a place keeper in my life because i was sick of being single (i know im terrible right?) and we've been going out for a week in secret from his mother (who hates me) and i am not really suppose to tell anyone. Now my...

Who should I choose? [ 12 Answers ]

I have been single for quite a while and then all of a sudden I met a friend who I was at school with which was over 5 years ago for names sake I will call him John, well we became friends and then one day out of the blue he asked me out, we get on really well as friends and was a bit shocked when...

Which one to Choose? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm quite new to computer and I've been asked to advise on which Program to choose for a company-Off-the-shelve application package or Bespoke Application package. Please help me to give a very meaningful answer as to the advantages and disadvanges each have over the other. Thank you.

View more questions Search