Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Nov 13, 2007, 02:22 AM
    Anybody dealt with chicken pox?
    My 2.5yo, I think has chicken pox. Not really sure though. No itching, no fever. Red bumps/rash on his face, a few on rear, maybe one on his back, clusters of them near underwear line. And a bunch on his arm. I thought , yesterday, this was an allergic reaction to washing powder... gave a bath and some benedryl.. went away within an hour. Today (about 12-15 hrs from first) they came back. :mad: He has had the vaccine.
    He has had congestion/cold for a week... the doc said to give him Tussin DM. He just took the Tussin for the first time today.

I am trying to attach a pic for the first time, so forgive if it doesn't work. But this is what it looks like.
    Any help would be good.

Thanks you! :)
    Attached Images

N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 02:37 AM
    Looks more like a rash. You could add baking soda to the bath water to sooth it. Depending on what it is caused by would make a difference on exactly how to get rid of it.

Nov 13, 2007, 02:42 AM
    That's what I thought at first, but why would it go away and then come back. I've never dealt with rashes or chicken pox... always was lucky with a healthy kid so far. First one can you tell? :) I freak out over the smallest sniffle... LOL!
    So rash... just put calamine lotion and give benedryl? If it were to turn out to be the start of pox, would doing that that hurt it/him?

Nov 13, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Anybody else have any ideas?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 06:35 AM
    The chicken pox would be all over the body and not just where clothes would come in contact with skin. Also the child would experience lethargy. More here.

As it is quite contagious the child should not be in contact with others until the pox is crusted over or disappears.

Nov 13, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Ok, this morning everything seems to be fine. Rash is gone! I think it was still the allergic reaction to Tide. The only thing I can figure is... he laid in the bed with clothes that had been washed in Tide. I didn't think to change the sheets... maybe when he laid in the bed last night, he had another reaction to what was on his sheets? Sheets weren't washed in Tide.
    Thanks anyhow... just a mommy freakin' out :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Yup, sounds like an allergy. Plenty of mild allergen-free detergents out there. Time to do a big load. :)

Nov 13, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Yep, me too! Lots of them today, I guess. I've never used Tide (his Aunt did)... I'm to cheap LOL! We use the cheap ole stuff. My husband has now informed me that he never could use Tide. Says it's the only detergent he ever had a problem. Lesson learned!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 11:56 AM
    If it is coming and going it could be the laundry detergent some people say they have to use Tide because of allergies but I heard of a couple people that said they were allergic T0 Tide.

It also could be something she is eating anytime prior. Chicken pox are littler and have a bit of a scabby look.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 13, 2007, 07:31 PM
    This is an allergic reaction of some sort. I saw that you changed washing powder, but has he been introduced to any new foods? Any new bath soap?

Chickenpox will have a raised water filled blister, usually starting on the trunk, around the abdomen and spread from there.

With chickenpox the rash will not come and go, but spread more and more.

Benadryl is great, just be sure that you do not give him anything that includes Aspirin (Acetylasicylic Acid), no matter what the condition. This can cause a potentially dangerous syndrome called Reye's Syndrome.

Nov 14, 2007, 02:45 AM
    Thanks J_9. Nope new foods or anything. We racked our brains to figure out the washing powder (Aunt washed his clothes over the weekend). Luckily, it has gone away, none showed tonight. Thanks so much, you, for easing my mind!!
    samonmars Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Nov 23, 2007, 10:35 PM
    That happened to me once, and yeah, it was tide. Just get some mor echild friendly stuff, and make sure you don't let him go in contact wth that. My rash wa huge and itchy however.All gone though.

Nov 24, 2007, 01:53 AM
    Yes... it was Tide. Washed his sheets and rewashed the clothes his Aunt washed and no problems since. Thanks to all of you that helped!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it Chicken pox? [ 12 Answers ]

My son is 4. He has been a little off colour for a while. Today when he came home from school he had a spot behind his ear. He got very hot and grumpy said he felt sick, and fell asleep on me. He woke up a couple of hours later still grumpy and I gave him some medicine. Then I noticed a few...

Are they.Chicken Pox [ 15 Answers ]

Hello there.. My 3.5 year old daughter has been exposed to chicken pox first of all. I am unsure if this is chicken pox as it is slightly different from what I have read and seen in pictures. First of all my daughter came home from daycare on Friday with a fever and cranky and tired....

Chicken pox [ 1 Answers ]

What is the usual medicaton administered in the case of chicken pox in a 12 year old boy?

Chicken Pox [ 1 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 month old son was exposed to Chicken Pox and I was wondering if I should be worried about it? Thank you for your help

Chicken pox [ 2 Answers ]

My 4 yr old had the chicken pox vaccine. A week ago she developed a headache, high fever for 3 days with a cough and sore throat. The 2nd day red flat bumps appeared on her bottom and legs, she's had about 30 bumps. They swelled and had white heads but never turned in to blisters. The first ones...

View more questions Search