Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kefrenke Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 05:56 PM
    Tape Lines(?) showing after ceiling paint job
    I have a home that is 5 months old. The builder was in both yesterday and today repairing nail pops etc and repainting the ceiling. Everything looked great until I looked up and saw an straight bubble like line running across the width of my hallway. It wasn't there before. It would appear to be where 2 pieces of sheet rock meet and is possibly the result of the tape(?) getting wet while being painted.
    The guy painting the ceiling said he's never seen anything like it before. He was hoping that after the ceiling dried it go back to normal. So far it hasn't. As a matter of fact, I just noticed the same type of thing in the ceiling on the other end of my house where he painted today.
    I thought it might have happened because the original painters didn't apply enough 'mud' over the tape before spraying the ceiling. However the painter today didn't think that was the cause. Of course, he works for the builder and really didn't have a better explanation.
    Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this and the easiest/best way to remedy it?
    Thanks for you help!
    PS -- New Construction isn't what it's cracked up to be!
    sun one Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kefrenke
    I have a home that is 5 months old. The builder was in both yesterday and today repairing nail pops etc and repainting the ceiling. Everything looked great until I looked up and saw an straight bubble like line running across the width of my hallway. It wasn't there before. It would appear to be where 2 pieces of sheet rock meet and is possibly the result of the tape(?) getting wet while being painted.
    The guy painting the ceiling said he's never seen anything like it before. He was hoping that after the ceiling dried it go back to normal. So far it hasn't. As a matter of fact, I just noticed the same type of thing in the ceiling on the other end of my house where he painted today.
    I thought it might have happened because the original painters didn't apply enough 'mud' over the tape before spraying the ceiling. However the painter today didn't think that was the cause. Of course, he works for the builder and really didn't have a better explanation.
    Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this and the easiest/best way to remedy it?
    Thanks for you help!
    PS -- New Construction isn't what it's cracked up to be!
    If you push it does it move like a bubble or is it hard like dried compound?
    kefrenke Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sun one
    if you push it does it move like a bubble or is it hard like dried compound?
    It's kind of hard to tell -- they're both narrow straight lines and I didn't touch it while the paint was wet. However, I just tried now and if I had to decide between hard and moving, I'd lean more toward moving.
    fireresc Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 25, 2007, 09:31 PM
    It sounds like the drywall contractor may have went too light on the mud as you mentioned. In any case, your contractor should make it right for you. If it is a joint, they may have to retape the joint or float the mud out a little wider to blend the seam.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paint peeling from painters tape in new condo? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I purchased a condo in 2004 and was told it was painted with Benjamin Moore paint. Recently I decided to liven it up a bit, and so started replacing the "linen" with other more vibrant colors. When I did the downstairs bathroom, I had some issues when using the blue (Scotch 3M) painters...

Interior Wall&Ceiling Paint ? - suggestions needed for repairs! [ 5 Answers ]

We recently had to do some remodeling in my living room to accommodate an electrical switch, overhead light, and 2 wall sconses. This included a contractor making several holes in my ceiling and walls and repairing the holes with drywall. The drywall looks great, however when he came back to...

Bad Tape Job [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a chance to by a fixer upper and noticed that the dry wall joints had been badly taped and could be seen through the paint and/or falling off all together. What is the best way to handle this?

How Do I Tape Walls To Spray Ceiling ? [ 3 Answers ]

Help ! We Have Popcorn Ceiling And Had The Bright Idea To Buy A Sprayer And Try Spraying Them Ourself. Good Idea Except We Can't Seem To Figure Out The Best Way To Tape The Walls Up To Keep Excess Paint Off Them. 1- What Should We Use ? (paper , Plastic,. ) 2- What's The Best Thing To Hold It In...

View more questions Search