Ask
    zorroxzx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2011, 05:09 AM
    Electrically charged atom
    How the atom electrical charged
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 14, 2011, 06:41 AM
    When the number of electrons in an atom is different than the number of protons it is electrically charged, and is called an ion. An atom becomes an ion by gaining or losing one or more electrons. There are various mechanisms that can make this happen. Salts can disassociate in certain solutions, turning from a single molecule into separate positive and negative ions. For example table salt NaCl can be disassociated in water into Na+ and Cl- ions. Ions can also be formed by subjecting the atom to radiation or to high temperatures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrically charged atom [ 8 Answers ]

An electricall charged atom is a) elemt b) ion c)organic molecule d) molecule Help please! Thanks:)

In the bond between a hydrogen atom and an oxygen atom in a water molecule help pleas [ 1 Answers ]

Complete the gaps in the paragraph below. You may use the words supplied once, more than once or not at all. In the chemical bond between a hydrogen atom and an oxygen atom in a water molecule; the bonding______are not evenly shared between the two atoms. In fact they spend more time in...

Are soil particles more positively charged or more negatively charged? [ 5 Answers ]

I am having a difficult time answering this question. On one hand, I know that it can be pos or negative. On the otherhand I read that it has only been measured as negative. So would that mean its more negatively charged?

Genie Pro 88 will not open electrically [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Genie Pro 88 Garage Door Opener. It had a hard-wired opener on the outside of the garage and I also had a portable opener that I kept in my car. Everything was working fine and then one day, I hit the button on the opener in my car & the Door opened only a little bit then went down. I...

Electrically charged atom [ 1 Answers ]

An electricall charged atom is a) elementt b) ion c)organic molecule d) molecule Help please! Thanks:)

View more questions Search