Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    my2house Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 12:10 PM
    Where to begin ceramic tiles on bathroom floor
    I am ready to install new ceramic tile in our kid's bathroom. The toilet, vanity baseboards etc. have all been removed. New subfloor has been installed. The dimensions of the room are 8'3" X 4'11" . My challenge is that the room is not perfectly square. Where do I begin installing the new 12"X 12"ceramic tile? I want to avoid the tile appearing to "veer off" when it is next to the wall/baseboard. Vinyl flooring/subfloor had to be removed due to leaking wax gasket. Any suggestions.
    Thanks,
    M2H
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 01:09 PM

Start with a chalkline at the center along the 8'3" dimension. Check the distance from the centerline to both sides. Move the line left or right to avoid edge tiles less than about 4 inches. You should have no problem for the 4'11" width (edges are 5 1/2"). For the 8'3" you would shift 6" one way or the other along the 8'3" dimension, to balance ot the tile dimensions.
    For the unsquare problem, decide which areas of the room are most noticeable when entering the room and adjust or rotate the centerline to make that criitcal location look best. Or possibly if the dimension is one inch off in one direction, split the diff and move the line 1/2 inch.
    It is always advisable to start in the center of the room for tile in my opinion. Starting at a side causes you to carry any deviation all the way through the room, in two directions.
    my2house Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smearcase View Post
    Start with a chalkline at the center along the 8'3" dimension. Check the distance from the centerline to both sides. Move the line left or right to avoid edge tiles less than about 4 inches. You should have no problem for the 4'11" width (edges are 5 1/2"). For the 8'3" you would shift 6" one way or the other along the 8'3" dimension, to balance ot the tile dimensions.
    For the unsquare problem, decide which areas of the room are most noticeable when entering the room and adjust or rotate the centerline to make that criitcal location look best. Or possibly if the dimension is one inch off in one direction, split the diff and move the line 1/2 inch.
    It is always advisable to start in the center of the room for tile in my opinion. Starting at a side causes you to carry any deviation all the way through the room, in two directions.

Thanks for the helpful advice!

Any suggestions on how to insure the subfloor is perfectly level under each tile? I've done a "trial" layout of the 12" X12" tiles. Near the center of the bathroom One centre tiles does not lay flat and "rocks" when pressure is applied by hand.
    Do I take the chance of applying the tile adhesive & try to even out the difference in the subfloor? Or is there another corrective measure to take short of pulling out the newly placed plywood subfloor. Really not an option as my hired help (spouse) isn't paid to do this work.

Any suggestions on leveling the tiles is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    M2H
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 02:48 PM

Is there a bulge from below that is making the tile rock back and forth?

You will need to make it as smooth as possible,otherwise the new tile will warp and crack.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 02:48 PM

Is there a bulge from below that is making the tile rock back and forth?

You will need to make it as smooth as possible,otherwise the new tile will warp and crack.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 6, 2010, 04:44 PM
    M2H,

The 4' 11" wall requires 3 full tiles and two that are about 11" or so. (one on each wall). Remember to leave at least 1/4" gap at the perimeter plus grout line and don't forget the thickness of the ceramic or wood base molding. So, if the walls are bowed do as I just said. If the main wall is straight, you can have full tiles there and just cut about an inch at the other wall.

The 8' 3" walls. 8' 3" is the same as 7' 15". Take the 15" and divide it to the two walls. So now you have 7 full tiles plus the cuts of about 7.5" each. Mark corresponding lines on the floor and start at the far end of the room and back out.

Check the flatness of the floor with a straight edge. Anything over 1/16" in 12" will need your attention.

I'm assuming you've repaired any damage and you'll be installing a cement backer board or a membrane first, right?

Jaz

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reusing ceramic floor tiles [ 2 Answers ]

How do you clean old ceramic floor tiles to reuse?

Installing ceramic floor tiles in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

How long do I let the mortar set before applying the grout. Then, how long do I let the grout sit. I have been told and read conflicting tips. Some say 24 hours. Some say a couple of days. I am installing the floor in our bathroom. In our only bathroom. I have to remove the toilet. Needless to say...

Loud cracking noise under ceramic tiles on concrete slab floor. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Florida and my home was built in 1994. Last night I was woken up by a very loud cracking noise under my floor tiles in the laundry room off the garage. None of the tiles broke,but now when I walk on them it sounds like there is loose mortar underneath them. My question is... what...

Ceramic Tiles on a Concrete Basement Floor [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install ceramic tiles in my basement. The floor is concrete. What do I have to do?

View more questions Search