Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hagehu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Install Bathroom Vanity Lighting
    I am removing a fluorescent light fixture in my bathroom that is plugged into an electrical outlet that works off a wall switch. I would like my new incandescent fixture to be wired to the switch that now supports the outlet. Can I remove the plastic outlet plate and wire the vanity light fixture directly to the wire that now works the outlet? I intend to have the base (wall mount) of the new fixture cover the wiring - so I assume that is OK?

THANKS.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 25, 2009, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hagehu View Post
    Can I remove the plastic outlet plate and wire the vanity light fixture directly to the wire that now works the outlet? I intend to have the base (wall mount) of the new fixture cover the wiring - so I assume that is OK?
    Can you describe this a little better, because from the sound of it it does not sound OK.
    You cannot simply cover the wire with the fixture.

Feb 25, 2009, 11:50 PM
    The switch on the wall turns off and on a standard electrical outlet that you can plug two items into. It is up at the top of a wall over my sink. There WAS a fluorescent light fixture mounted next to the outlet and plugged into it so that when you flipped the switch, the fluorescent light went on. I unplugged and removed the fluorescent fixture. Now, I want to put in a standard vanity light fixture to work off the wall switch. Can I remove the faceplate of the outlet, disconnect the outlet and wire the light fixture to the wiring that was connected to the outlet?

Feb 25, 2009, 11:55 PM
    Additional info - By saying I want to cover the wire with the fixture, I mean I will buy an incandescent fixture that has the hollow back space typical of the vanity models and that the wiring will be behind that and in the electrical box I assume surrounds the current outlet wiring...

The incandescent fixture will NOT have a plug on it...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Vanity Lighting [ 8 Answers ]

We just purchased our home (built in 2002) and wanted to replace the vanity lights. The builder put in the inexpensive "Broadway/Hollywood" strip lights. When we removed the light we discovered there is no electrical box of any kind... just wires running up and out through a hole in the drywall...

How to install free standing vanity [ 6 Answers ]

We are remodeling a 1/2 bath and have purchased a free standing vanity. I am a very handy DIYer with plenty of tools and can easily handle the plumbing and carpentry. However, the back surface of the vanity cabinet is flush with the rear feet of the vanity and the bathroom wall has base molding,...

Lighting for 60" Bathroom Vanity with 42" Mirrored Medicine Cab. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install Pendant light on each side of the 42" mirrored medicine cabinet (this cabinet will be recessed). How far apart should I space the 2 lights and how far from the ceiling should the bottom of the lights be? The mirror itself is not 42". The 42" is with the trim around the mirror. ...

Commercial Vanity Lighting [ 1 Answers ]

In a commercial application - can a vanity fixture in the bathroom be made using RICE PAPER?

View more questions Search