Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susbayside Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 11:21 AM
    How do I remove glue from scotch tape from wooden furniture
    In repairing my wooden desk, I used scotch tape to hold some pieces together that I had to glue back. When I peeled the scotch tape off, it left a stickly residue. How can I remove the sticky residue without damaging the finish?
    gottcha1mdb Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Jan 14, 2009, 11:51 AM
    Goof-Off. You can find it at Wal-Mart. Home Depot or Lowe's should also have it or any other hardware store.
    susbayside Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gottcha1mdb View Post
    Goof-Off. You can find it at Wal-Mart. Home Depot or Lowe's should also have it or any other hardware store.

Won't this product also take off the finish?
    gottcha1mdb Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Jan 14, 2009, 12:04 PM
    No, have used it before and it works great
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2009, 04:42 AM

I've used Goof Off to take the rosin residue off stringed musical instruments. It doesn't harm the finish.

Thanks!
    amylynnc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 12:39 PM

Goo gone
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 07:44 PM

Start with a mild solution and work your way up to something stronger. Googone or goof off both work as does paint thinner. I'd start with warm water and laundry detergent on a terry towel before trying a solvent.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2009, 11:24 PM
    What kind of finish is on the desk, susbayside? I've should have asked that question in the first place. When I first responded, I was confirming the Goof Off is not likely to harm even a delicate finish, such as that which are usually found on violins.

However, if the finish was someone like shellac, bees wax, or, wiped on oil of some kind, then what's used does make a great deal of difference. Although, the age of the finish is a factor that also needs to be considered.

Is the finish on the desk, paint, real varnish, some type of urethane, lacquer, a varnish-stain, shellac, some kind of oil finish that is applied by wiping, simply stained without any sort of clear-coat applied, etc. There are some other types of finishes, but I think that you might get the picture, here.

It would also help to know how old the finish is that's on the desk.

Anything that's liquid can be a solvent, including water.

Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 11:33 PM

Believe it or not... W D 40 it works wonders.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remove outdoor carpet glue? [ 5 Answers ]

I have removed old indoor/outdoor carpet from a cement porch. I have removed most of the glue but am having trouble removing all of it. I have used a metal scraper and also a floor sander. The glue is about 90% gone. The cement is smooth with the glue but it looks yucky. Also there are marks...

Glue on furniture [ 3 Answers ]

How do I remove the glue from tape that was on my furniture when I bought it?

Protecting outdoor painted wooden furniture [ 1 Answers ]

I am painting a wooden table for outdoor use. Once I've painted it, what coating, substance, or product do I put on the paint once it's dry to protect the table from the elements?

Getting tape glue off wood furniture [ 3 Answers ]

The movers put packing tape on my wood furniture. The backing(glue) remaind on my furniture when I removed the tape. How do I remove it without destroying my furniture? Thank you so much. Kathy

View more questions Search