Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mt830 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 06:44 PM
    Cold Master bedroom closet.
    I have a house that is two years old. In the master bedroom the closet has a vent that blows warm air, but the closet is freezing cold. If I keep the door of the closet open. The closet temperature is the same as the room. What do I need to do to keep the closet warm without the door open?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 07:01 PM

The only quick fix would cut a hole in the drywall above the door on both sides of the wall. Cut some 2x4s just to frame in the opening ans slip them inside the cut out frame. Use a drywall saw and be very cautious of any wires in the wall. I would cut the inside wall first that way if you see a wire and Need to adjust the square hole and move that hole a bit then a slight repair in the closet is easy and not seen
    Get some square louvered grills from the big box stores to try and match your heat grills. Use this for a template to make the cuts. When you are done it will look like part of the heating system and not stick out. If the closet has an exposed sidewall and nothing is in that wall put grill there first. And if you want more heat flow into the closet add another one above door or to the side.
    The ceiling heat has a chance to get into the closet.

You can replace the door with a louvered bi fold or a singe louvered door.
    If the closet is getting real cold its possible there is a problem with the insulation. But most closet get colder on a outside wall and no airflow of heat gets in.
    Grill is the quick easy fix.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    all about brick Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jan 12, 2009, 07:07 PM

Insulate the ceiling. It sounds like theirs nothing above ,but attic.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 12, 2009, 07:38 PM

I do agree that you must have inadequate insulation. You have a hot air register but it still is freezing,bad exterior wall/ceiling insulation is the problem. Also, if warm air blows in but has nowhere to go it won't let much warm air in. You need to make a provision to allow the cold air to sink to the floor and be expelled into the room to make way for the volume of hot air to be unrestricted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can indian master degree eligible to apply for H1 master degree quota? [ 4 Answers ]

HI I have a master degree(2 year) in computer science engineering from an Indian university. Would I be able to apply for H1 visa under h1 master degree quota?? Or would I be able to apply under both general and master degree quota? Help me out guys.. Thanks,

Replacing bedroom and closet doors. [ 11 Answers ]

I have very plain hollow bedroom and closet doors which I'd like to replace one by one. I'm looking at the more modern doors that have a colonial design pattern on both sides but are also hollow. Do I have to replace the door jams/frame too, or can I just take off the old and install the new ones...

Lead closet replaced by pvc closet on toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Plumber replaced a lead closet with a pvc closet and now the toilet doesn't line up the way it used to.. It is forward 2" and sideways about 1-1/2 " Plumber says that is the best he can do.. I don't believe that . Is there a way it can line up like before.

Water leak under carpet in master bedroom. [ 1 Answers ]

A week ago I discovered a small puddle of water on the carpet in front of the bathroom. This puddle has now grown in size. I lifted the carpet in that area and found a small hole in concrete. This hole appears to be by design ( I have no idea why) Water is flowing up from this hole. I have also...

View more questions Search