Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjessup07 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Installing ceramic floor tiles in bathroom
    How long do I let the mortar set before applying the grout. Then, how long do I let the grout sit. I have been told and read conflicting tips. Some say 24 hours. Some say a couple of days. I am installing the floor in our bathroom. In our only bathroom. I have to remove the toilet. Needless to say I want to minimize the time we will be without a toilet for obvious reasons. I don't want to leave it set for longer than I have to but I also want to do it right. Thanks in advance

Scott
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2008, 03:02 PM
    You have to let the mortar set long enough, of course, that you can walk on the tiles. I used to leave mine set overnight so I could walk on them and then I usually had more tile to set.
    The instructions on the mortar and grout should give a setting time.
    If no other guidance I would use 12 hours for mortar before walking on and another 12 hours before grouting, unless literature says otherwise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing ceramic ceiling tile in a bathroom [ 4 Answers ]

What are some key techniques for tiling a ceiling with 6" X 6" ceramic ceiling tile? Do you do a couple tiles (4?) at a time and then put a piece of plywood up and wedge a 2x4, 2x2 up and let dry? 5.) Do you apply the thinset to the tile first then put on the ceiling?What type of thinset do you...

Bathroom - ceramic tile new walls or new floor first? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am getting ready to tile a bathroom that was built from scratch.. there was no bath there before it was built... I have the floor tiles, which will be set over half-inch cement board with thin set. The subfloor and cement board are already installed and ready for tile, which will be...

I am installing ceramic tile on the bathroom ceiling - without it droppong off. [ 2 Answers ]

1.) Do you apply the thinset to the tile first then put on the ceiling? 2.) What type of thinset do you recommend for ceiling application? 3.) What type of trowel do you recommend (U or V shaped)? How big? 4.) How much thinset do you apply to the tile or backerboard? 5.) How do you grout the...

Loud cracking noise under ceramic tiles on concrete slab floor. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Florida and my home was built in 1994. Last night I was woken up by a very loud cracking noise under my floor tiles in the laundry room off the garage. None of the tiles broke,but now when I walk on them it sounds like there is loose mortar underneath them. My question is... what...

Ceramic Tiles on a Concrete Basement Floor [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install ceramic tiles in my basement. The floor is concrete. What do I have to do?

View more questions Search