Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hinkley70 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Blue tape sticking to my freshly painted ceiling
    Help!

I was in a rush today and made a major blunder. I am painting a nursery and painted my ceiling. While it was drying I went out and bought wall paint. I came back home and hour later and put my blue 3M tape up on my freshly painted ceiling and proceeded to paint my walls!! Well 3-4 hours later I am pulling off the tape and it is pulling off the paint with it. It cannot be just painted over because it is uneven. I stopped pulling off the tape. I figure I will let it dry over night and then hit it with a blow dryer and pray that works.

If it doesn't, I have to spackle where my tape was and start all over. Did I just create 10 times the amount of work for myself??

Please someone save my dumb butt!

Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Nusery? I would say to avoid a mess if it still doesn't look right after you have redone it
    Paint a border of stars over it. You can buy a set of stencils at an arts and crafts store
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 07:37 PM
    You might also try mineral spirits if the blow dryer doesn't work. Neither has much possibility though, the dry to the touch but not completely dry paint has adheared to the tape. You mentioned spackle, you don't want to use spackle. You want to use dry wall joint compound. A light skim coat should do it.
    Hinkley70 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Ah, the blue tape is on the ceiling. I tape the ceiling to cut out the walls. Stenciling over a pocked piece of drywall isn't an answer, its doing it half as#ed.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 07:45 PM
    Oh didn't realize it would be pocked after you repaint it.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Gee. That was dumb. Hey I'm painting too. I knew better not to use blue tape on a wallpaper border. I used Post-it tape. Worked great. Then I was talking to a friend said he said he used the blue tape once and it ripped off the border.

I too, doubt you'll have much success getting the tape off. Reminder, that you'll have to wait sometime before you can sand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to correct color on freshly permed hair? [ 2 Answers ]

Let me start my saying that two weeks ago I went to a Salon to get my hair permed as I have really thin straight hair and curl it all the time to get some volume. What I was expecting to get from the perm is not what I got. I hate the perm. On top of that, my stylist said that I would need to...

Ceiling fan swap out - wiring red with no blue [ 5 Answers ]

Old fan had Blue - connected to Red in the ceiling Black - to Black in the ceiling White - White and Green - Bare. Two switch wall plate first one light, second one fan.

When to know it is safe for baby to be back in a freshly painted room. [ 6 Answers ]

The walls were painted in the bedroom. I am not sure if it is safe yet to put our baby back in the room. I am not exactly sure what paint was used and cocking around the windows. The workers told me it is water based. It smelled strong at first but I have been airing it out since...

Tape Lines(?) showing after ceiling paint job [ 3 Answers ]

I have a home that is 5 months old. The builder was in both yesterday and today repairing nail pops etc and repainting the ceiling. Everything looked great until I looked up and saw an straight bubble like line running across the width of my hallway. It wasn't there before. It would appear to be...

How Do I Tape Walls To Spray Ceiling ? [ 3 Answers ]

Help ! We Have Popcorn Ceiling And Had The Bright Idea To Buy A Sprayer And Try Spraying Them Ourself. Good Idea Except We Can't Seem To Figure Out The Best Way To Tape The Walls Up To Keep Excess Paint Off Them. 1- What Should We Use ? (paper , Plastic,. ) 2- What's The Best Thing To Hold It In...

View more questions Search