Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bymyself Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Can you laminate or tile over laminate?
    Can you tile or laminate over a laminate counter top?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 02:35 PM
    You can laminate over anything already laminated over just make sure you use a very good adhesive to do this. You can tile over anything that has been laminated over but you'll have a stick issue wherein the adhesive just may not adhere properly on the laminate surface so I would not suggest you do that.

Also, take into consideration the hole for the sink to rest into. Be sure that you cut your new laminate to the right size and shape.
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Jan 30, 2008, 04:07 PM
    While twinkiedooter is right(nobody will arrest you for doubling up on laminate), it's ill advised. Ceramic tile over laminate would not happen on my watch under any circumstances.

People do install laminate on top of each other because:

1) It saves them time
    2) They don't have to crawl around on the floor as much.

Note that none of the answers help you get a better job done, they just save the installer(you, I presume) some labor. The better you want your floor to look, the more work you have to do, unfortunately.

As for ceramic tile, it requires an incredibly stable base, or you'll find your grout lines turning back to dust within a few years as the tile shifts and moves due to the soft vinyl underneath it.

In short, vinyl over vinyl, sure if you want. Ceramic over vinyl, bad idea.

Thanks,
    Json

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate floors [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry, I should have stated it's a plywood subfloor that I'm the laminate floors on, and I'm trying to save a buck, is there other more affordable material to use for underlay. Thanks guys so much.

Laminate flooring [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I paid a bulider just six months ago to lay a laminate floor in my lounge , six months later it has begun to rise in various places , I am very upset about this , and he's not prepared to put it right , so it looks as though I must try and fix it myself , trouble is I don't know why its...

Laminate flooring [ 1 Answers ]

I am just about to lay laminate flooring in my conservatory, unfortunately the conservatory is a hexagonal shape, I was wondering how I would get straight joins on the laminate when I get to my change of angle within the conservatory, would I need to mitre the joints or measure the angle of the...

Laminate [ 2 Answers ]

What do you recommend to use as a underlay for laminate in my home, on plywood floor to stop the echoing sound .

Laminate installation [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My neighbor has glued a large piece of laminate to a freestanding counter. There is about a foot of excess material left on each side. What is the best method of trimming the excess material close enough to the counter so that a router can be used to finish the project? Thank you

View more questions Search