Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kissingbandit66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Water Stain on Dining Room Ceiling
    HELP ! I live in a 2 story house. I noticed a brown spot on main floor dining room ceiling (around a light fixture) It feels damp and spongy. I have not had any flooding in the upstairs bathroom and no noticeable leaks. There are no windows in the upstairs bathroom or on that side of the house at all.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2008, 06:20 AM
    Is the upstairs bathroom located above the dining room? Just trying to cover the bases here.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 08:54 AM
    First thing to check is as CLOUGH said... is the bathroom directly above the dining room? If so, I would start by checking the obvious stuff. Does the toilet move? I mean, when you put your hands on toilet can you shift the toilet... does it move or rock at all.. If so, probably need to lift toilet and replace the wax gasket. Also, check the shutoff and where the toilet meets the tank. Next place to check is under the sink.. any moisture there... look closely at the shutoffs... especially near the shutoffs... USE TOILET PAPER to actually wipe the shutoffs and confirm no moisture present. The next place to check is at the tub/shower valve... can check behind the cover plate by removing screws from faceplate and looking behind wall (use flashlight here) while tub and THEN shower are running... sometimes diverters can leak behind wall... sometimes shower arms corrode, etc.

Netx thought is to check that any teenagers are actually pulling shower curtain over during shower.. I have seen this more times than my customers would like to admit!!

Also, check the radiator or baseboard radiation (if you have them). Here, a packing nut on top of valve (radiator) or even a coin or key vent could be leaking under the baseboard cover.

After that.. well... check back with us and let us know what you found. Next steps are to measure and explore other options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cultured Granite counter top water stain [ 2 Answers ]

My wife has placed a plant on our kitchen counter top, which is made of a dark grey colored cultured granite. The plant apparently remained in the same position for nearly a year. Today when it was removed there remains a white discoloration, almost a bleached out stain the exact size of the...

Leaking dining room ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Today, I noticed a splash of water on my dining room's floor. I looked above and noticed the ceiling had a brown colored circular shape, the size of a melon. It was an obvious ceiling leakage. I did some tests and realized the leakage came from the stand up shower. Water only drips when...

Circuit breaker OK, but no electricity in living room/dining room [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old farm home. The lights went out in living room and dining room Thanksgiving night. The circuit breaker appears normal and the panel is OK. What went wrong?

Water stain spots [ 1 Answers ]

How do you remove water stain spots from chrome faucets

Rust stain on cold water supply pipe [ 8 Answers ]

I am near the end of a kitchen renovation. Yesterday I was looking at some pictures taken at an earlier stage when I noticed a rust stain on the cold water pipe that supplies my kitchen sink (photo attached). I have since covered this pipe with drywall, but I'm wondering if it's worth cutting a...

View more questions Search