Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nana1dottie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 08:39 PM
    Heating a finished basement
    I have a finished basement, furnished and live in the Midwest. I do not use the are very rarely in the winter. I would like to know how much it would decrease my heating bill. I could close it off with a temporary closure. I have all the heat ducts closed. Is it worth the effort to close it off. Would it save much on the heat bill. I realize that heat rises but curious if having the entry way open to the basement uses much more heat. Is it advisable to close vents in other rooms that are not used. The rooms all have cold air returns in the as well as the basement. :confused: Some ssy not don't close them off, others say yes why heat unused space. :confused:
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 08:49 PM
    The only problem with closing vents is that you can cause the furnace to overheat. The furnace creates so many BTU of heat value and when you close the vents you are blocking the furnace from blowing the heat out causing the furnace to run to hot which in turn will cause other problems.

You might be able to close a few but you really need a on site HVAC professional to do a temperature rise test to see what effect it is having on the furnace.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 09:35 PM
    Here is the answer for your basement also.

The only problem with closing vents is that you can cause the furnace to overheat. The furnace creates so many BTU of heat value and when you close the vents you are blocking the furnace from blowing the heat out causing the furnace to run to hot which in turn will cause other problems.

You might be able to close a few but you really need a on site HVAC professional to do a temperature rise test to see what effect it is having on the furnace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Basement heating [ 10 Answers ]

I was wondering if it is feasible to use an existing water heater to supply some baseboard or fan coil heating in my basement. It currently is used only to heat domestic water. The water heater is electric, and it is 80 gallons. My heating system is heat pump, and the main living quarters,...

Sewage Smell in Finished Basement with Ejector Pump [ 6 Answers ]

We have a sewage smell in our basement that we finished and added a bathroom. It has an ejector pump and we have sealed off the crock top with caulk and wax. The smell is not all the time and is very inconsistent. We have city sewage. We have tried everything with not luck. The only thing that we...

Basement toilet way too far from finished wall. [ 4 Answers ]

I had our house built 5 years ago roughed in for 1/2 bath in the basement. Now that I'm finishing the basement, I've run into a problem. All the walls are framed, drywall is up and bath is ready for toilet installation. Much to my chagrin, I realized now that the center of the soil stack is 20"...

Plumbing in a finished basement [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently finishing the basement in my home built about 2 years ago. The people that did the plumbing and heating didn’t want to spend the time to keep all of the plumbing and ductwork up in the joists so I’m having to move a bunch of it. I actually have 2 questions: 1. I have an A/C...

Backwater valve for finished basement [ 3 Answers ]

Tom, I currently finishing my basement and have heard/read that if the flood rim level of any fixtures is below the next upstream sewer manhole cover that a backwater valve should be installed to prevent sewage backup into the finished basement in the event there was a main sewer line block or...

View more questions Search