Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbarto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2007, 10:49 AM
    How To Drywall over TV Hole
    Currently, my 36" television is in a large cut out over my fireplace in my living room. There is also a panel in the sidewall of the hole that contains hookups for electric, cable, and stereo. Although the tv is nice, it is not an HDTV, and I would like to replace it with a flat panel LCD HDTV. Problem is, none of the larger units will fit in the hole, so I want to drywall over the hole and mount the new 52" LCD where the TV is now. The hole is about 42.5" wide by 37" tall by 25" deep, and the bottom is level with the mantle on my fireplace. Any ideas on the best way to get the hole covered up and mount the TV? Think I'll have to fill it in for better soundproofing? Thanks!
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Cut pieces of ply wood or any scrap wood to fit inside the opening. Screw these pieces to the back of the existing sheet rock. Cut a new piece of sheet rock to fit the opening and screw it to the wood pieces. Tape and finish as usual.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Nov 6, 2007, 08:37 PM
    you'll need to remove the corner beads, it's a little messy, take a hammer and beat the corners till you expose the metal bead, you'll need to remove this all the way around the opening, after that take some 2x4s and place these on both sides then one on top and bottom, after that cut the sheetrock about 1/4 smaller than the opening, use 1 1/4 drywall screws to attach, you also need to place a 2x4 every 16" before you install the drywall. From top to bottom,

after this , you'll tape the all 4 joints , apply 3 coats of sheetrock mud and sand, prime , paint

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drywall [ 6 Answers ]

My home is about 25 years old. Recently I've noticed that the drywall screws seem to be coming out. There's small bumps in the drywall where the screws are. In one room, the opposite is happening. Instead of bumps, I have small depressions around the screws. Is this situation serious and what...

Drywall on ceilings [ 7 Answers ]

We are building our own home to earn equity program. My husband hung our drywall using 1/2 inch sheets on the ceilings with 24" in between joists. We have been told by our drywall finisher that the ceiling will sag because we were supposed to use 5/8. Is there anything we can do now to correct...

Tiling over drywall [ 1 Answers ]

I have a wood stove. I want to put slate tile behind it. Can I tile directly onto the painted drywall. If not what must I do?:

Drywall Hole Repair [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: Help- I have repaired holes in drywall before. This one puzzles me. I wanted some advice before I attempted to fix it. We were trying to put up a decorative shelf. We have it perfectly measured and need to place the shelf at a certain place in the room. The shelf kit came with a...

Hanging drywall [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to hang drywall over wallpaper using only a liquid drywall adhesive. the studs are difficult to locate in our concrete/plaster mix as some walls are more than 3 inches thick. Thank you, hafanhaf

View more questions Search