Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    six Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Painting indoor furniture
    In painting say a dresser, how do you keep the paint from streaking on the smooth surface?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2007, 08:21 PM
    That depends on why it is streaking. Are you using a brush? Was the furniture unpainted before you started to paint on it? Or, did it already have paint on it?

If you are using a brush, then I would make sure that the brush is the right kind for the paint used, oil or water based paint. Also, the brush should be the appropriate width to just be under the width of the surface to be painted if on small surfaces of the dresser. If it is a large surface area of the dresser, then the wider the brush the better. The bristles of the brush, when you lay them out on a flat surface should also taper to a very fine edge.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2007, 09:42 PM
    six agrees: very helpful. Thanks
    You are welcome!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Cheap brushes will inevitibly yield an inferior surface. I like the ones that have a very fine end. These brushes are many times two colors.

To cover a large area, it best to use an appropriate painting instrument or instruments. My uncle once tried to paint a ceiling with a 4" brush rather than a roller.

Don't be afraid of having multiple sized brushes either. Remove the hardware such as knobs and hinges to get a much better job.

There generally will be some amount of streaking just after the paint is applied. Primers help a lot. Spray painting will cause runs, but never streaking.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 5, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Go get a foam roller, we use this a lot on entertainment systems we paint, as for a brush, we use a name brand called (Purdy) or (Wooster) both are high quality brushes,
    Also remember the quality of paint makes a difference and you also need to prime it before you paint as well
    Cpreston48 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
    I am about to paint a fireplace mantel that will be used as a headboard.. I have sanded the mantel down to the wood (oak) I intended to prime before painting. Any suggestions on paint or paint application methods?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Indoor Plants [ 7 Answers ]

How do I take good care of houseplants? What should be the watering and fertilizing schedule. Also when and how often they need to be repotted?So far the only plants that seem to survive indoors are Peace lilies-the rest just die after some months. Right now I'm trying to save an Ivy,Dracena...

Indoor pests [ 1 Answers ]

We recently had a second sump pump installed in the ground level of our home. There has been a excessive amount of crickets. How do we rid of them so we can enjoy the family space on our lower level?

Painting furniture and over wallpaper [ 1 Answers ]

Can anybody advise me on how to paint a pine chest of drawers and bed which has a varnish on it please. I would also like to know if I can paint over wallpaper which is gold and slightly patterned with a coco colour - Many thanks

Indoor court surface [ 1 Answers ]

What are professional indoor tournament courts made from? I've heard of the term "carpet" and that it's 2nd only to grass in terms of ball speed. What exactly is it? Also, is the rebound ace material on the courts at the Aussie Open different from actual hardcourt? How about the US open...

Painting furniture [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Folks, Is there anyone out there would could tell me how to create the paint wash effect on furniture. What I mean is that it appears to be a very thin coat which is almost transparent and shows the grain of the wood. Any help appreciated. Thanks

View more questions Search