Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    hannahcwik's Avatar
    hannahcwik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 22, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Trucking Liability and Physical Damage Insurance Issue
    I am a Claims Specialist with a trucking firm. Recently, one of our drivers (owner/operator) was involved in a bad accident; the resulting fire completely destroyed the tractor, trailer, and cargo.

    The clean up bill totaled $32,000.

    Our insurance company said this part of the claim would fall under Physical Damage, and we do not have Physical Damage coverage. Please note that we're not seeking to be compensated for the trailer loss, JUST THE ACCIDENT CLEAN-UP for the wreck recovery company.

    Our Cargo insurance paid $5,000 toward the clean-up, which is the maximum allowed under the policy.

    I've looked at our Liability coverage, and did not see anything there relating to accident recovery/salvage, but was wondering if this could possibly be covered under our Liability insurance?

    Also, the Owner/Operator's Liability insurance paid out $3,000 toward the clean-up efforts, but sent this money directly to the driver, not the wreck recovery company. The driver subsequently cashed the check. Is there anything I can do to get this money to the wreck recovery company (without having to sue)?

    I called our broker, who basically said they cannot help me, and that I'm on my own with this one. Help?
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

    Aug 23, 2008, 01:16 PM
    You need to recover the money sent to the O/O for the clean up. You might have to take him to small claims court to do this. In the meantime, make whatever changes you have to to your existing insurance coverage so this scenerio won't come up again. Am surprised you don't have this type of additional coverage as ANY cleanup can be extremely expensive. And if the cleanup involved some kind of chemicals or hazardous materials then the cash register gets racked up very easily. Cargo of any kind can catch on fire unless it is canned goods. You should have this extra insurance for any kind of cargo your company hauls. Relying on the O/O's is not enough as they are running under your company's name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Liability insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I have been making herbal soaps and selling to my immediate friends and family, but now strangers want to buy and I need to find out what kind of insurance I should carry and where to get it.

Small trucking company and insurance [ 2 Answers ]

We are a small trucking company which has a driver wanting to lease on with us. He has already purchased the liability insurance for his truck and wants to continue to use that. He says that the company he was with before allowed him to run under his own insurance but I don't believe that is...

Insurance Liability [ 12 Answers ]

Car A is exiting a parking lot. Car A pauses just short of the aisle leading to the curbcut to wait for a delivery van to get clear. Car B comes down the next aisle turns into the aisle behind Car A. Car B then passes Car A on the left and makes a right in front of Car A hitting Car A on the point...

Fire damage liability [ 1 Answers ]

If a juvenile starts a fire on city owned property, a playground area, and the city owned parcel and city owned adjacent parcel have not been properly maintained for fire control, is the city responsible for damages caused to properties adjacent to their property?

RV Park Liability - Damage to property [ 2 Answers ]

I paid a year's rental at an RV Park, I pay for my electric monthly to the RV Park after they send me a bill. The road behind the park has been widened due to a new apartment complex being built and therefore the fence bordering the property had to be torn down. The construction company...

View more questions Search