Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    rbcford's Avatar
    rbcford Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 27, 2006, 05:23 PM
    Travel Insurance
    I'd like to buy travel insurance for my upcoming honeymoon, because my fiancee's mother is in the hospital. She is not in imminent danger of dying.

    1) If she were to die (God forbid), before or during our honeymoon (just to be clear, my mother-in-law will not be along for the trip), would travel insurance cover it?

    We planned our trip with a travel agent, and paid our initial $300 deposit a couple of months ago. The balance is not due for a while since our Honeymoon isn't until May.

    The agency recently quoted me a price of $115 per person for "deluxe" insurance, but I'm not clear on the coverage. It says something about excluding coverage for "pre-existing medical condition" for immediate family members.

    2) Are they talking about family members along for the trip?

    3) If we pay for the trip on a credit card, will the card's travel insurance cover the honeymoon if my mother-in-law dies before or during my honeymoon? Which cards have the best coverage?

    Thanks for any help! :)
    CaptainForest's Avatar
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

    Jan 27, 2006, 06:36 PM
    So you wish to buy travel insurance so in case your mother-in-law dies and you are force to end or cut short your honeymoon, you want to be reimbursed.

    Your 115 deluxe insurance that {excluding coverage for "pre-existing medical condition"} sounds more like travel HEALTH insurance than cancellation insurance. Are you sure you were quoted on the right type of insurance?

    As for your credit cards, you need to check into your policy. From my experience, no they don't.

    If her mother is so sick, is this really an appropriate time for you to be planning a trip anyway? Something to think about.
    Manish Jaiswal's Avatar
    Manish Jaiswal Posts: 6, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 22, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Hi RCB Ford...

    Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Hope she is fine now. Since this is a very old question and some one has attempted to answer it, hence I will be brief.

    Couple of things..

    1. Travel Insurance is not your domestic health Insurance policy, so no way Mother-in-law (MIL) can get covered

    2. Travel Insurance covers for Travel and related emergencies. It is like falling sick or meeting with an accident while on vacation

    3. Credit Cards Insurance is not a good substitute of Travel Insurance. Mostly it is fligh Insurance.

    4. Trip Cancellation can be a sub-set of Travel Insurance but it has to be spelled out in the Policy wordings

    So, in nut-shell Your Travel Insurance from your agent may cover Trip Cancellation if you fall sick or you have to cancel your trip due to un-avoidable reasons. MIL may not be that good reason.

    For best Travel Insurance cover, I would recommend you to visit USA InsuranceMall. You will get a Portal to compare and buy your choice policy at your pace from leading Insurance companies.


    Manish Jaiswal
    Insurance I Opener

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Travel to Canada [ 6 Answers ]

I plan to take the family to visit some friends in Canada this Easter and was wondering if there are any special documentation I'm going to need when: From US to Canada: - Leaving the US - Entering Canada From Canada to US on the way back: - Leaving Canada - Entering the US

Travel to Canada [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Canadian,living in the U.S. with a permanent residence card.Do I need a passport to go back into Canadato visit, And if so how do I get one.

View more questions Search