Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    DancinCloud's Avatar
    DancinCloud Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 29, 2007, 05:28 PM
    What to know to move to Canada
    I am an American going to Canada to marry my fiancé. I have a passport but I need to know on how do I move my household things there. What are the rules and regulations? Im stressing out because I cannot find much info at all online about it.
    Thank You.
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,800, Reputation: 2674

    May 29, 2007, 07:05 PM
    You will have to call the Canadian Consulate where you live, or call Cdn. Immigration.
    Lowtax4eva's Avatar
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

    May 30, 2007, 10:51 AM
    You cannot enter Canada with your household goods until you are accepted as a permanent resident, and technically they may not let you in if you tell them your entering Canada with the purpose of marrying a Canadian and obtaining citizenship.

    You would have to say you going to visit your fiancée, then once you arrive get married and then apply for citizenship under the spousal sponsorship category. Once this is accepted (this can take 3 to 6 months or longer if your coming to Quebec) you can enter Canada again as a landed immigrant and bring your goods. You will have to prove you have known each other for a while before getting married (at least a year is what they look for I have been told). The cost is approximately 2000.00 Canadian dollars and you do not have to leave Canada after you get married and file (as long as it's within 6 months)

    Your best bet is to put your stuff into storage, come in with 2 suitcases, get married and then file for citizenship.

    CIC Canada | Spouses, Common-Law Partners and Conjugal Partners

    If you have any more specific questions you can send me messages or reply here, I worked for Canada Customs for 6 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Move to canada from uganda [ 1 Answers ]

Am a ugandan male and have a degree in administration , how can I get in canada to exploit my profession

View more questions Search