Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    2mishar's Avatar
    2mishar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 18, 2013, 01:13 PM
    What if I leave usa for more than 6 months
    Hi, I want to know when will I be eligible to apply for citizenship? Have gone to lawyers but not satisfied with their answers?
    Asked 18 days ago - Gaithersburg, MD
    Citizenship Requirements
    I came to USA October 2005 ,stayed here till August 2007, went back to my country to finish my stdz, came back USA again July 2008 n then kept going back every year till 2010 , since 2011 I have been staying in USA ,my question is am I eligible to apply for citizenship , ihv never been out of the country for more than a year..
    Time in usa
    Oct 2005 to Aug 2007
    July 2008 to Oct 2008
    Oct 2009 to Nov 2009
    Aug 2010 to sep 2010
    Feb 2011 to march 2012
    June 2012 to June 2013
    Acc to the lawyer I can apply for citizenship in
    August 2014... plz help because acc to my calculations I can apply after 2 months...
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

    Jul 18, 2013, 01:21 PM
    They changed the rules of the game in th least year or so (don't remember the exact date it changed)... if you stay out for more than 6 months... they can revoke your green card now.

    Too many people were getting them and continuing to live overseas... this was to shift the quotas to people who actually wanted to live here... not have a piece of paper that would let them come when they felt like it.
    lawanwadee's Avatar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

    Jul 18, 2013, 04:02 PM
    You must stay in US more than 50% of the time since you become permanent resident..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social security allien leave usa? [ 1 Answers ]

I paid social security for 15 years and left the USA, when will be able to collect it or can I collevt in lum sum amount.

USA Tax stayed in USA for only 84 months [ 8 Answers ]

I satyed in USA starting 1st January till 25th March a total of 84 days. 1) My parent company is India based and in USA I was getting regular monthly salary. 2) All my State, Federal, SSN, Medicare taxes were withheld. 3) I was in USA with my wife and my kid. My wife has ITIN number. 4) From...

TAX RETURN less than 6 months in USA [ 2 Answers ]

I came to Memphis, TN, USA on L1 visa on OCT 02, 2007 and worked till JAN 31, 2008. All the taxes were deducted from the pay, including SS_TAX etc. I came back to SAN JOSE, CA, USA on JULY 6, 2008 and I am working till date. I did not file tax return in USA for 2007 and 2008. 1. Can I file...

Leave the USA while on probation? [ 8 Answers ]

I am on probation in the state of California, and I want to go out of the USA and go to another country, can I do this, what can I do? Who do I have to ask permission? i dont really want to come back to the usa anyways? can I leave the usa?

What happens to my green card status if I leave the usa for more then 6 months [ 5 Answers ]

I have travelled out the country with my wife for pure medical reasons, I expect to be hospitalised for a long time and will probably not make it back to the USA within 12 months, I have been in the states for more then 20 years, can someone please tell me what the rules are with regards to...

View more questions Search