Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    loveland1234p's Avatar
    loveland1234p Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 1, 2014, 11:02 AM
    What do I need to start the papers besides maybe a lawyer?

    I was wondering if you can help me. I am trying to get my husband papers. He came across the border illegally. We got married in 2004 and are still together. I've been trying so hard to find some answers. Please help me, I sure would love to surprise my husband with his new papers. I just don't know where to start first. He came here when he was 14years old, and he has kids here that are American citizens. So what do I need to start the papers besides maybe a lawyer? Very curious!
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

    May 1, 2014, 11:41 AM
    He might already be under a ban for being illegal. If he is..its a 10 year ban from applying.

    THey don't just hand papers out because you are married and/or have a kid born here.

    I have a friend that sounds a lot like you only its her that's illegal, teenage child born here. 10 years fighting, over $100K spent, a GOOD lawyer, final determinateion she's never ever getting a green card.

    Took over two years to get my wife a green card... she was never illegal, don't remember how many thousands I spent doing it myself, and it still wouldn't have happened when it did if political favors had not been called in.

    Long story short... if you get lucky.. its not going to be cheap or quick.. so its really not going to be a surprise.

    You need a lawyer (sure you can technically do it yourself, but a lawyer who knows the system and the multitudes of forms will have fewer problems)... be prepared to spend a lot of money... expect it to take years.
    newacct's Avatar
    newacct Posts: 319, Reputation: 21
    Full Member

    May 1, 2014, 12:07 PM
    Are you a U.S. citizen?
    lawanwadee's Avatar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

    May 3, 2014, 09:29 AM
    If you are US citizen, and qualify to sponsor immigrant visa for him, you can proceed any time. However, since he entered US without inspection, he can not adjust his status in US. He must return to his home country for visa processing, and overstay period, which is quite a number of years will trigger 10 years ban. In short, get help from experienced immigration attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to invest money for a good lawyer for my case or average lawyer it is OK? [ 2 Answers ]

I got married 7 months ago and after a few days the immigration police caught me on Over Stay. I went to prison for a few days. After that, my lawyer send my form I-130 after two or three months after they caught me. A few days ago I had my first court and the judge gave me an extension for another...

I want to start with my first research paper. Can you give me some tips to write it? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to write research paper and I need guidelines to write the same

I need help with ideas to start my paper on music. Below is the topic [ 3 Answers ]

In order to be an active citizen we are required to be aware of the surrounding power structures and politics that affect us as individuals. In deciding which type of music we listen to, we allow certain structures to become a part of us. Discuss why this does, or why this does not, become such an...

How do I start my paper [ 1 Answers ]

My professor in U.S. history asked us to write a 5-7 page paper on something that personal appealed to us from 17th-19th century. We have to write in either 1st or 3rd person, and include at least 10facts. EX. If I choose to I could pretend I was a civil war general, and I could write a diary or...

View more questions Search