Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    GenomeX's Avatar
    GenomeX Posts: 24, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 1, 2006, 12:37 PM
    UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction)
    I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance).

    I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc).

    I am also planning to move to the US. If I get my full UK driving license, then go to the US and get a US driving license (with my UK one - so no tests required) then will the convictions be transferred as well?
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

    May 1, 2006, 12:51 PM
    I cannot find a sure answer, but I will bet 10-1 that there's no way that your problem will show up. To be sure, call the Bureau of Motor Vehicles for the area you are going to and ask them what I.D. you need to get a State Driver License.

    I believe you will find that providing proof of who you are is all you will need.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,305, Reputation: 7692

    May 1, 2006, 12:52 PM
    First there is no "US" drivers license merely each state has their own laws.

    I do know many states will require you to re-test if you are coming from a non US state some states require new testing even with a licence from another state within the US. You are allowed to drive temp on your UK licence until you get your US licence.

    I know as a police officer we were not able to check drivers records, even to prove your licence was valid. I assume that if you turn in your OK UK licence to get a new licence from the state you will be living, the records could eventually get transferred.

    So don't expect any one answer for the US since every state (all 50) have their own rules and laws on issuing drivers licence

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business License In The UK? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, My girlfriend and I are looking at starting up a web site to sell comic books, manga and anime. The plan is to start with a web site and hopefully one day expand into owning a store of our own. I've just been looking over some wholesalers and a lot of them want... Now we...

Drivers license [ 10 Answers ]

I have been told it is illegal to photo copy a driver's license. Is this true? home owner LA CA

Are Interstate truck drivers federally mandated to wear seat belts? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this is the correct site to ask this Question, if it is here goes, if not please direct me to One who could answer this. Are truck drivers who travel interstate federally mandated To wear seat belts while driving their trucks? Is there a weight clause with...

Piercing license [ 2 Answers ]

I live in El Cajon, CA I just was wandering how or where do I go to get a piercings license?

Getting license back? [ 22 Answers ]

My suspension is up for a first offense DUI. There was an accident, I had no insurance and was hit by another driver. There is no civil case, no court judgements, just letters from the other drivers insurance company wanting me to pay for her damages. The DOT received the same letter that I did...

View more questions Search