Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    tigerlily82's Avatar
    tigerlily82 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 26, 2008, 12:00 AM
    Tourist visa to student visa
    I have sufficient funds to support my studies and my parents are willing sponsor me. Will it be difficult to change my B2 visa to F1 if in case I plan to study in US? Do I really need to declare my intention to study upon arrival at the port of entry?
    lawanwadee's Avatar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

    Aug 26, 2008, 10:49 AM
    It helps if you disclose your intention to study to the immigration. To change status while you're in US, you must file for change of status 60-90 days before the semester begins.

    On personal note, I do not recommend to change your status after you entered US a visitor, because if you travel outside US, you would need to re-apply for F-1 in order to return to US. So if you are prepared and have sufficient funds, then apply for F-1 at the US consulate in your country is the best choice.
    tigerlily82's Avatar
    tigerlily82 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 27, 2008, 08:25 PM
    What if you fail to declare your intention, will it be diffucult to adjust status? My husband's planning to take up his MBA but we haven't chosen any school yet, that's why we plan to use our B2 visa first.

    I'm kind of hesitant about declaring the intention to check out some campuses personally upon arrival at the POE. Is it possible they would deport you if you tell them your intention aside from just visiting your relatives?
    tigerlily82's Avatar
    tigerlily82 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 27, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Thanks lawanwadee for your quick response!
    shellybelly22's Avatar
    shellybelly22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 5, 2012, 01:22 PM
    I am in my third semester at college however I took two semesters off. I want to go get my visiting visa to go to the US will it be a problem for me to get it. And what do I need to take to the embassy with me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L2 visa status change to student visa [ 5 Answers ]

HOw do I go about changing my daughters L2 visa to a student visa as she wants to start college in the fall, Her L2 visa expires in June 2009

Tourist Visa [ 1 Answers ]

How does one obtain a temporary tourist visa for someone who wants to visit the united states coming from the philippines?

Tourist visa [ 1 Answers ]

My sister in law has a multiple tourist visa right now, she got it through her previous work. Now she wanted to apply an h2b visa to work right here in orlando, will it affect her b2 status. Does she have to give up one visa to another.

Tourist visa to h2b [ 1 Answers ]

My friend has a multiple tourist visa right now, she wants to apply for an h2b visa now. Will it affect his tourist visa. Thank you.

Tourist Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have come to New Jersey, US on a B1/B2 Visa from India. I wanted to see Niagara Water Falls from Canada side and return Back to US. Is there any arrangement like Tourist Visa Stamping On port of landing. I would be staying for one night and return back. Would be looking for your...

View more questions Search