Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MIKL8888 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 04:47 PM
    2010 IRS rules changing basis of inherited prop?
    I was told by a person at IRS that in 2010: the basis of inherited prop will change from the FMV at time of death of the decedent to the descendants adj basis at time of purchase. The same person at IRS mentioned the law will change back to the way it was in 2009. If this is true I may lose some sleep. I inherited shares of stock in a Co-op and sent in Letters Testamentery to have my name affixed to the Stock Certificate. The Board seems slow moving and I am worried that they will not get to my request until 2010.

Can you verify what the IRS person said and if so, any solution?

Thanks,
    Mikl8888
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Nov 17, 2009, 07:52 PM

It sounds like you have already inherited the shares. If that is true you will not have to deal with the rules for 2010. You will use the fair market value as of the date of death (assuming the alternative valuation is not used). The date the name is put on the certifcate does not effect the valuation date.

Nov 17, 2009, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MLSNC View Post
    It sounds like you have already inherited the shares. If that is true you will not have to deal with the rules for 2010. You will use the fair market value as of the date of death (assuming the alternative valuation is not used). The date the name is put on the certifcate does not effect the valuation date.
    I should explain further. I was the sole Beneficiary in a will and also made the Executor. I've sent in Letters Testementery to request that the Board make me a member of the Co-op based on an old unchanged clause in the By-laws. If you would be good enough to explain at what point would you think I can claim that I inherited the shares? I did get into this point also with the IRS person; she made me think that I should have the right to sell them to establish inheritance. Is it possible that just by the Executor (me) requesting the shares, it shows inheritance? Or as the shares are in the decedent's name and will be transferred to the 'Estate of' or my name, it shows inheritance because I as the Executor can sell them?

Thanks,
    Mikl8888
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Nov 18, 2009, 09:41 AM

My goodness MIKL, what you say strains credibility.

Since you have all these estate issues, and these properties are obviously valuable, why don't you engage a competent tax professional to guide you through the complexities?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 10:06 AM
    Agreed. Given the nature and complexity of the tax issues, you need to get a competent tax professional to advise you on the estate tax issues.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 10:54 AM

MIKL888 - I second (third?) what the previous responders said about engaging an estate professional. However, I don't understand why you think your date of inheritance would be anything other than the date of death of the decedant who willed you the property - please explain. The way you "show" inheritance is by having the will probated, or as executor by sending a letter to the board with a copy of the decedant's will and a copy of the death certificate.

Also - keep in mind that for 2010 the estate tax rate goes to zero - hence the rule change for estates of people who die in 2010 - this gives the government some chance to collect taxes down the road if/when the heirs sell the property. For 2011 and beyind the current rules are that the estate tax comes back with a vengeance, as we revert back to old (year 2000) rules. It's going to be a total mess.

Nov 18, 2009, 11:34 AM

It's as simple as this; the value of the co-op shares are their value on the date of death or the alternate valuation date. I cannot believe that an IRS responder gave you any other information but this; perhaps you misunderstood.

Your issues with the board have no impact on the tax consequences should you wish to sell the unit.

Nov 18, 2009, 12:17 PM

Whoa; I take it all back.
    In 2010 only, the value of inherited property is not its value on the date of death but its original adjusted basis for estates of 1.3 million or more (4.3 million if passing to a surviving spouse).

See, for example this nice review.
    http://www.greensfelder.com/publicDo...teGiftTaxL.pdf

Nov 18, 2009, 12:24 PM

Nevertheless, you did inherit this property in 2009 and thus, you get the "stepped up" basis on the date of death.

Nov 18, 2009, 09:03 PM
    All of you who answered were absolutely Great! I spoke to a lawyer today who verified what you all said. But we came up with one more question: The NYS tax office of Estate info said that a Co-op's shares do not have to be listed in a NYS Estate because they are treated as Intangible Personal Property. This came out of NYS Dept of Tax & Finance, Taxpayer Services Division, Technical Services Bureau, TSB-M-81 (1), Estate and Gift Tax, 2/20/81. If this is true, do you think the IRS wants Co-op shares listed in an Estate valuation?

Thanks, MIKL8888

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding basis for inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

My uncle died in 2006 and the family house was just sold in 2008. There was no estate because his part of the house was in an irrevocable trust that went to the rest of the family. How can I find the basis for members of the family who inherited various fractions of it on dates ranging from 1963...

Cost basis for inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

My sister & I inherited real estate from our mother. Subsequently, she sold me her portion. I sold the property last year and am not sure what to use as the basis. Do I use the appraised value as of the date I sold or the amount I paid for her portion? For example, the property was worth...

Appraisal as tax basis on inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away on Dec 7. Her house was appraised on January by a state certified appraiser at $135,000. It will sell on April 30 for $90,000. Can beneficiaries take a capital loss of $45000 plus expenses of the sale. More specifically, I guess I should ask if the basis on the house is...

Basis in inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited rental real estate property from an uncle that past away 7 years ago. I just now received it because his will gave a life estate to his wife for the income from the property during her life. He owned the property as separate property. She has now passed away and I have received the...

View more questions Search