Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joherba Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 02:12 AM
    Probability. Which student's data are the best estimate.
    Some students threw three fair dice, each numbered from 1 to 6.
    They recorded how many times the numbers on the dice were the same.

Name
    1) Number of throws
    2) All different
    3) to the same
    4) All the same

Masood 1) 40 2) 26 3) 12 4) 2

Saleh 1)140 2) 81 3) 56 4) 3

Walid 1) 20 2) 10 3) 10 4) 0

Ali 1)100 2) 54 3) 42 4) 4

Which student's data are most likely to give the best estimate of the probability of getting each result?

Please explain your answer.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Feb 26, 2009, 04:30 AM
    Well Joherba

That was the question. Perfectly copied.
    As to my reply to your question :
    What is the connection between best estimate and sample size?
    And what have you done so far with the question yourself?
    Any processing done of the 4 x 4 results?
    What is unclear? Where did you get stuck?
    Or do you expect us to do your homework?

Feb 26, 2009, 06:26 AM

Please help me out! I do not make heads or tails with this!!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 07:05 AM

Which has a better probability of accurately representing the possible data set?

1. Throwing a set of dice once?
    2. Throwing a set of dice twice?
    3. Throwing a set of dice a thousand times?

The more times you throw the dice, the more "samples" you have, and thus you can model the possible results better. In this case, the students aren't measuring all possibilities, they're just measuring the probability that all dice are the same, or all dice are different, or that two are the same.

There are various statistical tests to show the possible error in the measurement. I'm not sure what tests you're currently studying. If you are studying one, that is probably what the teacher expects you to use to validate your choice.

In statistics, there is a (sort of mythical) quantity, the true answer. Since you don't know the true answer, you're trying to find the best estimate of the true answer by experimentation. If you could throw the dice an infinite number of times, you would get a perfect estimate of the true answer.

Feb 26, 2009, 09:14 AM

Thans for this, I appreciate your help!
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Feb 27, 2009, 03:01 AM
    Joherba

I already gave you a similar answer (like Perito's) in my previous response :

What is the connection between best estimate and sample size?

The lack of any information other than the question gave me the impression that you wanted us to do your homework. But that is not the intention of this board. It is only a HELP board. We provide hints into what direction you have to think. It is you who has to do the homework.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Data entry or data processing from home. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello from Florida, My name is Don and I am looking for a free data entry from home website that I can find. It is not easy to find! Please help!

Collect data into 2 combo boxes from data in an access table [ 1 Answers ]

I have two combo boxes. When the form loads the db connection opens a recordset that selects all the data from the retaillocations table. When you choose the region (0-4), that number loads into a text box and the Contacts load into the forst combo box. Now I want to select only the Name based on...

From 3 columns of data creating a 4th column with the most recent columns data [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help with an excel query I have... I have 3 columns of information and want to summarise the most recent information in to a 4th column. i.e. the most up to date information. If the most recent column is blank use the information from the 2nd most recent...

How do I estimate? [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to start a small powerwashing business,can someone tell me what the going rates are for deck washing and sealing. I am in the central jersey area Do you charge by the sq. ft and how much?

Painting estimate [ 1 Answers ]

Painting estimates

View more questions Search