Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    jmio02's Avatar
    jmio02 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 24, 2014, 01:45 PM
    Name Change

    I recently got married and just got around to changing my last name. I currently have a perminate resident card that will be expiring next year. I am going to be filing for citizenship very soon. Do I need to change the name on my Permanent resident card before I file, or will it be OK that my last name is different on the card compared to what it legally is? If I have to replace the card first wouldn't it be better to just renew the card in my new name as it is the same price as replacing, so I don't have to incur the added fee of replacing and then citizen fee?
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    Mar 24, 2014, 02:53 PM
    Are you in the U.S.

    Normally, if you choose to change your name to that of your husband at the time of the marriage, the name-change occurs when the marriage ceremony takes place (or perhaps technically when the marriage certificate is filed). So I am slightly puzzled by your statement that you "just got around to changing [your] last name". What do you mean?
    jmio02's Avatar
    jmio02 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 24, 2014, 02:57 PM
    I just changed it with the social security office and on my license at secretary of states. Do I need to change it on my resident card before I apply for citizenship?
    lawanwadee's Avatar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

    Mar 24, 2014, 10:37 PM
    Put the name you want on form N-400, no need to file name change prior to that. However, if your name is different from the one on GC, it will delay your process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the landlord change change a verbal lease on a whim by not allowing use of laundr [ 3 Answers ]

Can a landlord change a verbal lease on a whim (because he said so was his response). We agreed to $100 a week for a room, laundry, kitchen and living room privileges. After 2 months of paying the $100 per, he decided I couldn't have any privileges other than the room and bathroom. Am I allowed to...

I had a 220v and my landlord change it to a 110v and now I need to change it back [ 4 Answers ]

I had a 220 outlet for a a/c unit and my landkord change it to a 110v for smaller unit. Now we want to change it to a 230v 15 amp. For a a/c unit what do I need to do.

Mtd change drive belt model # 13am673g022 how to change [ 0 Answers ]

How to change drive belt for lawn chief model# 13am673g022

Hw does a chemical change differ from a physical change? [ 2 Answers ]

Don't feel bad... I have a Yamaha 12 string. It's a "FG-410-12" When I enter my serial number it tells me it was made from 1988 until 1998. However I bought mine brand new and still have the receipt for it dated 1973 so their system leaves a lot to be desired. Every ten years they start the...

What is 'change agent' or 'change maker' or 'change' in Sanskrit? [ 1 Answers ]

What is 'change agent' or 'change maker' or 'change' in Sanskrit?

View more questions Search